Can't keep U-Joints in YJ

My son has been driving my '91 YJ and he is going through a set of rear U-joints a month. I've tried regular greasable, super duty through cap greasable and even the extra heavy duty non-greasables. The lift is only

2", running 31s on 3.07 gears. I've replaced the dif yoke. I know he's your typical lead-footed teenager, but even that does not explain the short lifespan. Any suggestions?
Reply to
jeff

I would guess the angles may be off so it is vibrating around 60 mph. This shake can destroy them.

I eat more rear ones than I should with my 3.5" lift. I have a proper

2.5" spring lift and YJ shackles that lift one more inch. The shackle lift has put the angles off on my back yoke. The face of the yoke coming out of the t-case is supposed to be parallel with the face of the rear end yoke.

This means they look something like: =| |= or if the t-case is tilted down, =/ /= .

Sometimes folks put the rear yoke pointing toward the t-case too much. Mine is something like: =/ |=

Folks use an angle finder to match them up.

The other nasty one is the end tabs on the yoke. If those tabs aren't perfect, the u-joint can slide end to end slightly. This will wreck them fast.

Mike

jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike should have explained that the shake is really not a shake, it's a bind. The bind makes the driveline shake, and it't the bind that destroys the joints. His diagrams, =| |=, =/ |= , etc are right on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
jeff

You do lead a sheltered life now don't you Bill. But then since you haven't been an active offroader in many years, that you don't know about them doesn't surprise me.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Ah you desert rats are just lucky you can use those sealed POS'es, they get contaminated with water way too fast up here in the muskeg and swamps. Our mud burns.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III