Cant shift to 4x4 drive

I have a 92 jeep wrangler and am not able to shift it into four wheel drive. The linkage is all good and it shifts good. Also the 4x4 light is always on even when not in four. So i looked at the senor and took off the cover where the fork and the bearing cupler is (THe spot where u can see 4 wheel drive locking in) I can move the couple over by hand and 4 wheel drive will work then but so i was thinking that the fork wont move it over by its selve. I looked at all the vacuum hoses and I bought a new Vacuum diaphram thinking it was just low vacuum but that didnt help either.

Reply to
Jeff via CarKB.com

You describe a common problem on YJ's. Did you also check the vacuum line going to the transfer case?

JimG

I had a trail buddy with a CJ7 that used to think it was funny to pull off the vacume line that attached to the diaphram on the front axle of my YJ when I wasn't looking. It never failed, he always waited until right before we hit a steep incline.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

I am thinking you are talking about the front axle disconnect?

That would mean you need to open it back up and apply vacuum direct to the shift motor to see if the fork moves. It is possible the diaphragm is torn inside the unit.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III