Car idling perfectly @ 1200 rpm then just dies

Hi

I just removed the engine mounts on my 86 CJ7 and while doing so disconnected the chassis ground strap on the drives side engine mount. I replaced the two mounts very easily by the way and reconnected the ground strap. I was told to leave the mounts a little loose and let the jeep idle for awhile to settle them and then torque the nuts to spec. After everything was back together the jeep started right up and I pulled her out into the driveway to idle for a few minutes. While walking back into the garage the engine just dies. No sputter, coughing or anything. I tried to restart and now all I have is a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the solenoid. Have I fried a solenoid with a loose ground strap? I cleaned the top half on the connection and tightened the top all up. I will clean the bottom strap connection tonight. Am I on the right track here. Could a loose chassis ground cause all this grief??

Thanks for your replys,

Todd

Reply to
todd_smithnw

Try to get a better ground contact. If your alternator doesn't have a good ground connection, your voltage could have gone real high and blew out electronics.

Remember, body and chassis grounds go bad. Don't rely on your chassis for a good ground for your audio or RF components. Always run a ground back to the battery even if you think you have a good connection at your seatpost.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

You have a couple computer parts running things in there that need a ground.

Yes, you could have fried something with a ground loop by having that wire off. There should also be another small mesh one from the rear of the engine head up to the firewall. If this was weak, it could have fried from the overload.

But back to basics says the starter solenoid on the fender must be grounded to work....

I use a battery booster cable from the battery negative to the body or parts to verify ground issues.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi
Reply to
Mike Romain