Carter BBD and pics

I just rebuilt the carter BBD on our YJ, works better than it ever did now with one exception, I think I got the electric choke on wrong, the choke plate that should snap closed stays open. Anybody have any pics of the chokes orientation, it's also possible that I got a linkage in backasswards, found some links to BBD pics but most are dead links. I REALLY need to pick up a digital camera so I can snap some pics before I start something like this.

Reply to
Rich Pierson

You likely got the link connector in wrong on the choke plate rod.

Here is a shot of it:

Figure the choke is closed when the engine is off, so if you hold the choke closed that link piece will only fit one way.

Mike

Rich Piers>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Thanks, you have been bookmarked, the problem by the way was that I had the electric choke installed wrong, missed the tab when I put it in. Quick fix and it's working correctly now.

Reply to
Rich Pierson

A stupid, but serious question: I have an elec choke on a "newer" model BBD that I would like to put in in place of an older carb with a "manual" choke. I have one wire listed as going from a Painless wiring system ... where does the second wire from the choke go? To ground?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
KeiBeau

Well, in 'my' opinion, you are stepping backward for cold performance by putting a 'timer' choke in that has no clue how hot the engine actually is and just opens up by the time the engine has been running.

Up here in Canada, that means you have to 3 foot drive or let it idle for 15 minutes before you can drive away in the winter.

The manual choke also gives me a hand throttle which is handy when winching to keep the amps up.

Otherwise, here is how the choke is 'supposed' to be wired up stock.

The power goes to the oil pressure safety switch below the oil sender. From there it goes to the choke. The choke only has one 'power' line to it, only one plug for wires, it grounds through the carb.

There is a second wire tagged onto the choke power line that goes to a relay that is ground triggered by a thermostat in the manifold. This relay powers up the air/fuel heating grid just below the carb inside the manifold.

There is one more 'mystery' power wire that comes off the choke plug. I am not sure just where it goes. My book implies it goes to the computer maybe as a reference signal, but that is just a guess.

Basically if you give the choke 12 volts, it opens and stays open as long as it has power.

The oil pressure switch is in series so no oil pressure, no choke or more important no manifold heater that will burn out without air/fuel flow to cool it down.

Mike

KeiBeau wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain