cd player

05 tj.

in dash cd-player. burned cd stuck, will not come out. Dealer said there was a problem with burned cd's. They will not replace the radio or try to fix.

Anyone else had something like this to happen, and how did you fix it.

thanks

david

Reply to
David Drum

Lesson learned. Don't tell them it's a burned CD until they get it out or replace it! Ouch.

A couple of things I would try:

- Power it on while holding your finger on the eject button.

- With unit on, power off/on the Ignition while holding the eject button.

- If it's a multi disk player, try loading/ejecting another worthless disk, then your problem disk.

- Look for a reset button on the unit.

- Completely remove power to the unit, wait, then reapply power, try to eject.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

David Drum wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Unless the owner's manual SPECIFICALLY warns against using homemade CDs call the regional office.

My '02 WJ only warns against CDs other than the "standard" 4.75 inch size. I take this to mean I cannot use the "mini-CDs" in my player.

Perhaps he meant to say that (home) burned CDs sometimes don't play because of read errors. You get around this by burning them at a slow speed. 4X-8X usually work fine.

Reply to
billy ray

There should be no reason that a CD that you burned should cause it to jam... Now, if you put a paper label on the CD and it increased the thickness of the CD beyond what is within the tolerances for the drive, then it is your fault... Hell, CD/MP3 players are cheap and you would come out better with getting one of the new MP3-CD players so that you can put more music on a CD anyway... I've seen the DVD players (minus screen) for less than $100 -- that would allow A LOT of music on a single disk... Sometimes, I wish they a would just build vehicles with everything *except* the factory audio installed... It's usually crap and overpriced to boot...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Dang, that's really bum luck.

My own experience has been different than Grumman's

If the burned CD has an adhesive label on it, it can lift or peel inside the unit from the heat and cause a problem. I have seen it in my daughter's car.

Sometimes burned CDs can be a problem too if they are the older blue faced disks. For some reason they give some players a problem reading and will cause the player to freeze up because of a read error. A complete disconnection of the power (battery) for about 30 seconds and then when it is reconnected have someone in the rig flip the key on and immediately hit the eject button.

When one got jambed in my daughter's disk player, we were out there for an hour or two with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers poking and pulling at it through the slot trying to get it out. Finally a combination of the on/off switch, my pocket knife and grabbing it with tweezers (OR of divine intervention) we managed to fish the damn thing out.

I have never had problems with burned disks in any of my vehicles - even with labels applied - but I always buy CD Stomper labels. The cheaper ones will peel off but I have not personally ever had a Stomper label come loose. Oh, the Memorex clear labels are good too.

When you DO get it out, let us know what did the trick and what the problem was ok :) Good luck to you!

Oh one more thing..... take it to a different dealer. Unless it was logged in, there won't be a record BUT when they DO fish it out, they WILL bill you if it is the fault of the defective homemade CD.

KJKate

: > Anyone else had something like this to happen, and how did you fix it. : : There should be no reason that a CD that you burned should cause it to : jam... Now, if you put a paper label on the CD and it increased the : thickness of the CD beyond what is within the tolerances for the drive, then : it is your fault... Hell, CD/MP3 players are cheap and you would come out : better with getting one of the new MP3-CD players so that you can put more : music on a CD anyway... I've seen the DVD players (minus screen) for less : than $100 -- that would allow A LOT of music on a single disk... Sometimes, : I wish they a would just build vehicles with everything *except* the factory : audio installed... It's usually crap and overpriced to boot... : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Many, if not most, home/car DVD players won't play MP3 files off a DVD disc. They just error out when they don't find the expected MOVIE.

However, JVC and some other company DO make a car audio DVD player that WILL PLAY MP3 files. The JVC unit isn't all that expensive either (doesn't come with a screen though).

noneyabusiness

Hmmm... I guess I must have just lucked out and ended up with one that would... If I was in the situation of looking for one these days, I would first burn myself a DVD of MP3 files and test it on the various DVD players at the car audio store before purchasing it...

I've seen a Blapunkt DVD player for $100 at Fry's... Even seen one for $70 on the web... Probably better audio quality than the overpriced factory CD player...

Reply to
Grumman-581

"Grumman-581" wrote : : I've seen a Blapunkt DVD player for $100 at Fry's... Even seen one for $70 : on the web... Probably better audio quality than the overpriced factory CD : player... :

The idea of taking a DVD int the store is a good one. It would certainly eliminate the guesswork.

I see that you are pretty down on factory players but I for one am just the opposite. I find factory players to be easier to operate without all the blinking lights, flashing teensy little buttons and remote controls that hide behind flip out faceplates that you can remove. When I am driving, I don't want to have to look for that itty bitty button that is somehwere our of reach or out of sight. I want it to be in an easy location that I can find by the braille method. I like quality sound but am certainly no audiophile.

One really nice otion on my my Libby is the controls on the steering wheel. Once I figured out all the things they will do I really like not having to take my eyes off traffic to change things.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I did this when I bought a boom box some years ago and I walked out with the one that I knew I wanted (a Sony by the way). That was before burn-your-owns. Their staff was pretty sick of Wall Of Voodoo (which has a lot of different sounds within) when I was done. I was amazed at how crappy most of them sounded, tinny with no depth.

Now I would indeed burn my own the way I would burn them, looking at both the sound and how the cd plays. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Did find a cheap replacement on EBAY. I am going to try and fish the thing out first. It is just a regular burned cd with no labels on it. Others I have made are ok and work fine. Did burn this one with a new dvd playerburner on my computer. Others were made with the cd drive. I'll let you knwo what happens.

david

Reply to
David Drum