Changing power steering oil - TJ '01

Hi,

I was just checking the power steering oil on my TJ with 50k kms and it smelt a very very faint burnt rubber kind of smell. So I want to change the oil, do I suck the oil from top and replace it in the reservoir and repeat OR is there any other easier way. Also, roughly how much oil should I be buying from the dealer?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Pump out on the ground? From where?

TW, Take the return line (will be the rubber ended one) loose from the pump/reservoir and stick that line in a jug. With the front wheels off the ground, run the engine for a few seconds while turning the steering wheel rack-to-rack being careful not to let the pump run dry. Add more fluid and repeat until all the old fluid is out (should be able to tell by color). Once complete, hook the return hose back up, top off the reservoir and run the engine again while going rack-to-rack. Top it off and you should be good to go.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This is where you could screw up *big time*... it only takes a few seconds to empty the reservoir, and a few seconds of running it dry to ruin the pump. Be *careful* here... __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Agreed. I take the belt off and turn the pump with a stick. Don't use your finger, the cast pulley has sharp edges. :O

Reply to
DougW

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I was given the impression that power steering and auto transmission oils should only be from Mopar. Any other oil brand is likely to introduce problems.

I generally have been using Mobil for all other oils and greases.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks for that. How much fluid do you it takes? I know its not much, but how much?

Cheers TW

Reply to
TW

This is where you could screw up *big time*... it only takes a few seconds to empty the reservoir, and a few seconds of running it dry to ruin the pump. Be *careful* here... __

Thanks for the heads up. I will be careful, only if the rain lets up (its been raining for a couple of weeks).

TW

Reply to
TW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks Bill. Can't do it this weekend (its still raining and the forecast is for more rain - I am in Auckland New Zealand and this is middle of our winter)....

TW

Reply to
TW

Reply to