Changing transmission lube

I've got a Rubicon with an NV1500 5 sp transmission. I need to change the lube. Pennzoil has some "Synchromesh Fluid" it states it's for Chrysler products. Part number 12345577. The question is, is this stuff any better than the dealer's stuff? Or, is there anything better than the Pennzoil? Any recommendations for the front and rear axles? These are limited slip differentials. Also, the service manual says to add 4 oz. of Limited Slip additive. Again, anybody have any recommendations aside from Chrysler? The service manual just doesn't have that much information.

Thanks

Lloyd Hanning

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

I believe that synthetic fluids are worth the extra expense.

If you perform all the suggested maintenance exactly on schedule the extra protective properties are probably not needed.

But that is just my opinion.

Reply to
billy ray

Are you sure that its not an NV3550 in your Rubicon? What year is it? Front & rear Axles should be D44, but the rear "limited slip" could be the "gear" type, not the "friction plate" type used in the non-Rubicon applications. If so, the axles don't require the additional Limited Slip additive. It won't hurt -- its just not needed. Normally any high quality hypoid GL-5 approved axle lube will be automatically approved for the plate-type limited slips anyway. Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

Lloyd, if you have a 5-speed in your Rubicon you have the NV3550. The Pennzoil is the same stuff you get at the dealer but in a different bottle; the dealer will charge you through the nose for it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Do Rubicons have limited slip?? I thought they just had air actuated lockers??

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Yes and no. They are not clutch activated ltd slips, but are not true lockers either.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

4X4PLAY wrote:
Reply to
twaldron

Not true lockers in what way?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I misread his question. I was refering to the ltd. slip. They are a gear ltd. slip, not a clutch activated version. I re-read Jeff's question and to answer correctly, they have both, ltd. slip and the switchable lockers.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Not true lockers in what way?

Reply to
twaldron

The rear is a "helical gear" limited slip (Sugino or some such -- the manufacturer's correct name escapes me at the moment) which uses no clutches at all. The front is a regular open differential unit. However, both can be solidly locked (air actuated) rear only, or rear plus front with the in-dash switch when necessary. The factory setup dictates you must have the transfer case in "Low" position before the lockers (front or rear) will activate. However, there are methods to bypass this so the lockers become active at any time you wish to use them. Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

Both:

Gear type limitedslip. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

4X4PLAY wrote:
Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Kool info guys...I had just figured they were open till you switch them on...I'm learning more everyday =) Damn I wish I knew more when I bought my TJ...those new Rubi's look pretty good but my heep may be too beat to sell =( lol...

Jeff - '03 TJ

Reply to
4X4PLAY