Changing valve seals - putting air into cylinder - hear air leaking - help

I have my compressor and I placed the piston at just before TDC on the compression stroke. I put my air adaptor in the spark plug hole and applied air and I'm hearing leaking. I tried another cylinder and I'm hearing leaking. The air is only at about 40 psi cuz I haven't gotten to crank the compressor up again yet.

Previously I took the engine/jeep to a mechanic who told me I had 150 psi across all cylinders. Is there something wrong with this picture? If I have that good of compression per cylinder should it not be leaking when I apply air from the compressor?

Is it possible I have a blown head gasket across all cylinders? Why do I think that. I'm burning oil and it appears to happen when I'm at idle for a few minutes and then I press on the gas. This indicates or points to, I've learned, the valve seals which I why I'm going about changing them. Could a blown head gasket across all cylinders produce the same effect?

Thanks for any response and help.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Ok, I pluged all the other cylinders with spark plugs and am working with #1 cylinder. I hear the air leaking but cannot determine where it's leaking to. I don't feel anything at the tail pipe. I don't see bubbles in the radiator water. I can't feel anything at the dip stick. The only thing I haven't looked at yet is the intake. The only thing I know of that is.

I'm going to look at that now.

Maybe my valves are stuck open? If that were true I should be able to feel it somewhere, either intake or exhaust, yes?

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Well I put my valve cover back on, pluged all the spark plug holes, and covered the holes in my valve cover. I'm hearing/feeling air though the pcv valve. This is due to rings, yes?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

probably! squirt some oil into the cylinder and turn the engine over a few turns (can be done by hand if necessary).

Reply to
Irish Redneck

Poured about a table spoon down #1, cranked it over a few times by hand (found TDC twice) and tested again. Still I'm hearing the air.

I should not be hearing air, right? It sounds like I'm filling a tank with air.

Just to let you know, I'm finding the compression stroke by sticking my finger in the spark plug hole and turning the crank. When I feel pressure against my finger then I know I'm on the compression stroke and then look for the timing mark to reach TCD or just before.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So, am I worrying about nothing then? Just because I'm hearing air and feeling air out the pcv valve hose then this is ok. In other words, the cylinder should not completely contain the air. This is normal? I'm freaking and thinking all the rings are bad because I hear air. Please correct me.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You'll always get some leaking by the rings, even in a brand new engine. There is a small gap of .020-.030" left where the ring ends almost come together. If you do a leakdown test as per my earlier post, it will tell you how much you are losing. A stock type rebuild will have as much as 8% leakdown when it is brand new. This doesn't mean that anything was done wrong, it's just the way it is. A racing engine will have less leakdown (usually 2-3% for a well built race engine) when the engine is new because they use tighter ring end gaps and a smoother bore finish when the engine is honed. Now if you hear a large rush of air coming out the tailpipe or intake and the valves are closed, then there is a problem. Also, your radiator shouldn't look like Old Faithful either. ;).

Chris

The valves can leak too....

When you have the old seal off, dab a little oil around the valve stem to see how many bubbles come up.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yeah, I'm working on building my own Leak Down Tester. Bout halfway there.

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

Are you sure you're not on the exhaust stroke? I'd pull the rockers off before airing up - then it doesn't matter what stroke you're on.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks guys.

What I'm hearing is like I'm filling a tank with air if that makes any sense. It's hard for me to determine how much is not much and if it's too much.

I'll try it again tonight with the arms off, put the air in and see if I can get the keepers out.

Thanks again,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri