Charging Question for the Pro's

Hi All.

With the engine running I've got 15.88 volts across the battery terms and at the alternator post. With the engine off I've got 12.2 at the highest (after driving) and 11.8 at the low(engine cool). With the alternator disconnected at the post. I have 1.46 volts. Holds steady. I think this is because the alternator doesn't recognize the excite charge from the Battery.

The Battery light on the dash is flashing intermittently until the engine has run for 30 + minutes. It's a new alternator (less than one month) . New Belt too. Tightened Good, but within specs.

I'm thinking that the battery has gone bad. Heavy sulfide deposits. After it left my wife walking from total battery discharge, the battery was very stubborn and would not accept a charge unless it was on the trickle charge setting on my charger. Please send your thoughts.

-- Thanks Always !!! Paul Vail, CO.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Paul Brogren did pass the time by typing:

Take the battery into PepBoys or some other store that does battery checks and have it put on the load analyzer. Your battery probably dropped a cell.

Reply to
DougW

Your battery is toast - get a new one.

If you want to get fancy, charge it overnight, test the voltage, then hook up an old sealed beam headlight to it and recheck the voltage after a minute or two. I would bet the farm that the battery won't light up that headlight for even 60 seconds before going dead flat.

Regardless of the outcome, if it's 5 years old or more, get a new one and don't waste any more of your time.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies