Check Engine

My 96 Cherokee (6 cyl, 140K miles) "check engine" light comes on with increasing frequency. There is a recall notice out there to replace the computer (free), but most people who did it regret it. The car has passed all NY exhaust gas inspections. I hope to avoid a $600+ exhaust system replacement on this older car.

The car hesitates a little under acceleration load, especially when cold, so obviously something needs tweaking. What do you recommend about servicing ? I'm concerned that the Jeep dealer will mandate the computer replacement and all the woes and (exhaust system) replacements that go along with it.

Please advise.

Reply to
9mmplus

I've got a 96 Cherokee too and had the same thing happen, checking the code revealed it was the rear oxygen sensor, (they have two), cost about $40 from oxygensensors.com and took about 10 min. to install.

DON'T go in for the recall if you don't have to. What they do is reflash the computer (change the programming). There is a defect in the program that keeps it from sensing when the cat goes bad. IF the cat is rattling when you take it in for the recall they will replace it, if it quit rattling because all the stuff has already fallen out like mine did they won't. The result is they will flash your computer, the check engine light will come on and stay on, and they will tell you to have the cat replaced to fix it.

My cat stopped rattling about 200,000 miles ago, and I'm NOT taking it in for the recall, at 350,000 miles the exhaust system is all original.

As to your hesitation you probably have some carbon buildup in the throttle body, you might try running a good quality cleaner such as Techron, also bad wires can cause hesitation, the cheap, easy test for that is to look at the running engine in the dark. Make sure you are in a dark place (and if you have an underhood light make sure it stays off!). Look at the engine along the ignition wires and if they are bad you will see faint arcs along the wires and between the wires and metal.

At 140,000 that engine is just getting broken in, mine lasted over twice that before needing a rebuild!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

[snip]

Was this the recall a year or two back? I took my `96 in for it and never had a problem with it.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yes it was.

If your cat is good I doubt you'd have a problem.

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

And they will replace the cat for FREE under warranty, per the recall.

Reply to
bllsht