Check Engine light

Hi, I took a chance on a locking gas cap for a 2000/2001 Jeep on my 2002?

Check engine light came on at half tank. Maybe I didn't get it tight enough, or they changed the cap? Anyway, Anyone have any problem with locking gas caps? Also, is there a way to turn off or check the check engine light with going to the dealer.

2002 Wrangler, Sport 4.0l, 5 speed, 4.11 gears and 31x10.5's

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Locking gas caps are common causes of Check Engine lights because they're often not air-tight enough to prevent a vapor leak in the fuel system that the computer will detect. Disconnect your battery for 2 minutes to clear the light.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Put the right cap on.

Reply to
bllsht

I think the '02 might use a different cap then the previous years. My '02 TJ has a factory cap that is a quick release design, that only requires about

1/4 turn to release, then it pops right off. I think the pre-'02 models used a different kind of cap.

The correct locking cap should be available at your dealer, and should not be too expensive.

Tom

Reply to
mabar