Check Engine Light

Greetings,

My '97 TJ (bought new) just flashed the idiot lite for Check Engine. 69K miles. Never seen it go on before. No wrecks in the past. Due for Inspection(less Emissions) in VA. in May. Should I:

A. Ignore it; It'll break sooner or later and then I'll know ?

B. Ask the mechanic in May to, "take a look at it" ?

D. Don't delay, have it checked ASAP ?

Owner's Manual seems to imply emissions problem is iminent. Never had one of these lites go off on me before. Can anyone get me up to speed ? My TJ has always been near-cherry even after 7 years.

Andrew

Reply to
Reticulum

I'm not sure from your post if what you mean is that it simply flashed then went out, or has come on and is staying on. The OBD II system on your '97 takes a number of inputs and should any of them go out of spec for a given duration it will turn on the light. If it goes back into spec the light may go back out on its own, or could "latch" requiring you to visit a dealer to have it turned off. The fault could be as simple as a loose gas cap, or as serious as a failed engine component, ther Feds want you suitably alarmed enough to take it back to a dealer for inspection, therefore they wont agree to have it read "emissions fault" or anything less alarming than "check engine". FWIW, the issues are rarely anything fatal.

Reply to
Jerry McG

the same thing happened to my friend's card. he just disconnected one of the battery poles and reconnected. the light is off since then. it sounds stupid but it worked.. he said if there is a real problem, it will come on again.. /topac

Reply to
osu

Yup, that works.

A loose gas cap can set the light off.

Mike

osu wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thx, Guys! Will try the battery trick and check the gas cap,etc. Will report back results.

BTW, it's really freaking me out that when I check this thread from work via Google Groups that suddenly my post becomes number 163(!!) in the thread "Check Engine Light" and the original poster was a guy who'd just bought a '97 TJ, "three weeks ago" and was having the same problem ! Original post date was 8-10-97 !! Weirdness on the newsgroups.

Andrew

Reply to
Reticulum

Reply to
David C. Moller

Whenever my "check engine" light has come on around the 60k~70k mile mark, I've found it's time to replace the O2 sensor. If the other fixes don't help, you might try it. It's a $60 part needs to be changed about now anyway.

Reply to
L.A. Jeepster

L.A. Jeepster did pass the time by typing:

FWIW, I've found that a smooth idle while warming up and otherwise good power followd by piss poor stumbly idle is usually caused by a "lazy" O2 sensor. Reason being the O2 sensor isn't used for warmup just idle and cruise, and at cruise your engine is more forgiving about the mix.

Try googleing on that subject and you find quite a few references.

Reply to
DougW

I guess you are referring to the upstream o2 sensor. Where do you find one for $60? Most everyone where I live want $80 cal

Reply to
Cal

Cal did pass the time by typing:

My 93 only has one, but yes, the downstream O2 sensor on all models to date only monitor the catalytic converter. (least that's what the manuals say)

Got the part online. $69 from

and possibley
(both are dealers so the parts are OEM)

$56 from

(Sometimes you get what you pay for, dunno, claims OEM)

Reply to
DougW

Hey Guys,

For some reason this thread is all messed up. My at-home ISP doesn't show it and the connect through Google at work still places this thread as originating in 1997(!). All this has made it very hard for me to follow all comments.

Anyway,... The battery cable disconnect trick worked. Check Engine Light is out and hasn't returned in several days. Big Thanks! for that.

Andrew

Reply to
Reticulum

I believe the manuals say the downstream O2 is used to monitor the cat. I don't think it says that's all it's used for. :-)

Reply to
bllsht

Could be, but the only DTCs I've seen are for the cat. Possibly it could keep an eye on the primary O2 sensor based on what gets through the cat.

Actually I think it's used for making the EPA happy and to provide more sales to the O2 sensor makers. :)

Reply to
DougW

It's also used for fuel trim, and rationality checks.

Probably that too. :-)

Reply to
bllsht