Check Engine light: loose gas cap LOL!

I can't beleive it, I was getting intermittent Check Engine lights on my '91' XJ. After reading this newsgroup I tried cranking down my gas cap a little more and now no more Check Engine light. The thing I'm wondering is why does the emissions system care if my gas cap isn't completely tight? Is the fuel tank pressurized or something?

Wblane

Fumes from the gasoline evaperating in the tank.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Yes. There is a pressure sensor in the fuel line to the charcoal cannister. If the vapor pressure is too low it will trigger the check engine light. All modern cars and trucks have sealed gas caps, and have for many years now.

Always check the cap first thing if you get a light and have no code reader handy. It's a relatively common problem.

You may need a new cap assembly if this reoccurs.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Better keep looking for the cause of that Check Engine light. A 1991 XJ couldn't care less if you took the gas cap off and threw it away.

Jeep didn't start monitoring the evap system until 1996, when OBD II was implemented.

Reply to
bllsht

LOL

I suppose you've seen this sensor, eh?

Reply to
bllsht

Sure it does, check out trouble code 31.

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The 1991 XJ has no clue if the gas cap is on or off. It has no clue if the evap system is leaking or not. You can post all the trouble codes you want, the fact is, the evap system is not monitored for leaks.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My manual says different. It says to check the hoses and system for leaks when code 31 comes up. That would include the gas cap....

I will believe the book instead off 'bllsht' any time... LOL!

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Your manual is wrong, and so are you.

Reply to
bllsht

You were probably watching them pressure test the cap.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Too funny, the book is wrong and the guy who actually fixed the problem by believing the book is wrong and the bull shit artist is right. LOL!

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thank heaven. Though that may change in the next couple of years in SE Mich...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Don't believe everything you read in an aftermarket "manual". They are notoriously wrong.

There is no code 31 for a 1991 XJ. No part of the evap/purge system is electronically controlled or monitored.

Believe your "manual" if you like, but facts are facts.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And I'll beleive Mike Romain over any newbie w/the handle bllsht as well.

Wblane

The least the anon BS artist should do is hide his adelphia.net origin if he want's to be so anon.

Reply to
MacIntosh