Cherokee 1990 - how to change lightbulb in trans-switch

Hello group. Maybe somone can help (as numerous times before :-)

On my dashboard there are at the lower right side of the steering wheel on the dash a Trans switch. There is a light inside the switch itself showing if it is engaged. This is working.

But over the switch there is a light backlighting the switch symbol. This is not working.

I am a bit stumped about how I go about changing this? Tried to pry out the switch but no success. Frankly I can not figure out how to change this without dropping the steering wheel and disassembling the dash. And that seems a bit overkill to acomplish this simple little task, or...

regards Odd-Inge Larsen North Norway

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

IIRC, those switches are simply pushed in from the front and have plastic clips that expand a bit after being pushed through. Kinda like one of those fastex buckles. I had to change one out on my MJ, but that was 15 years ago so my memory may be wrong. Anyway, after I knew what the switch looked like, it wasn't a big deal to pop it out. You have to reach your hand up behind the dash and squeeze those clips. Then just push it out. Don't know about the light itself though. Mine didn't have a light.

I'm sure Bill has a manual page that shows it.

Odd-> Hello group. Maybe somone can help (as numerous times before :-) >

Reply to
Clap Trap

Easiest way I can think of is too remove the dash bezel, four screws and a quick pull, will allow you to the remove the complete switch assembly for an easier bulb change. If you have a valid email I can send you the steps for removing the dash.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Find the 4 screws that hold the plastic fascia faceplate that goes over the entire dash. Just remove the screws and snap the faceplate away from the dash and all of the bulbs will be accessible by removing a screw or two. It will be obvious when the faceplate is off. The steering wheel doesn't need to be addressed, except for a small piece of plastic underneath it that just snaps into the faceplate.

Beware when removing (twisting) the bulb socket from the switch, because the tiny mounting tabs almost always break. It doesn't hurt anything, but you may need to glue the socket back into position if the little tabs break off. I had to replace all 4 of the bulbs, and every one broke - I just superglued the sockets back into the switches, hoping they won't burn out again while I own the vehicle.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder