Cherokee driveline noise?

I have sold my wrangler and bought a Cherokee. 96 Sport 4.0

Sometimes when i come to a stop there is a thud type of sound coming from the rear of the truck. It's not super loud. Even less noticeable, probley only i would notice is taking off only sometimes there seems to be a bit of *clunk* noise as well. Any ideas would be great.

-Brian

o_o_o_o /| ,[_____], |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

Reply to
Brian

It sounds like a few possible issues, none too serious.

As you stop, the nose dives and causes:

  1. The rear shocks to extend, when you take off they will compress. If they're old they may be binding.
  2. The rear springs to arch, when you take off they will flatten out. The leaves may be binding each other or a dry shackle sticking within the bushing.
  3. The driveline to lengthen, when you take off it will compress. If the slip yoke is dry it may be binding on the output shaft of the t-case.

It could also be the brake shoes retracting. They can sound a little clunky when binding on a rusty/dirty backing plate.

When braking to a stop, try easing up on the pedal pressure at the last second so the vehicle has a chance to level out. If you maintain pedal pressure until you come to a full stop, the suspension doesn't have a chance to completely unload.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Reply to
Clap Trap

Check that an upper rear shock mount hasn't broken or come loose. Another possible cause is a worn bushing on a leaf spring eye that allows it to shift laterally in the shackle.

Steve

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Steve

check to see if there is a full bottle of diet pepsi rolling around in the back. you may laugh, but i once "fixed" my father-in-law's lincoln this way.

:-)

martin

Reply to
rmcaskey

You might start by greasing the slip joint. My '96 Sport command-trac 4 spd auto did that when I first got it, and then the problem went away ... unfortunately I didn't pay any attention as to what or when that clunk went away ... but it's gone.

Reply to
Bowgus