Cherokee floor panel repair panels

Started to wire brush the loose rust off of the floorpan of a 95 Cherokee. 2 spots on floor of front and rear passenger sides (holes) rest in good shape. Planning on using POR-15 to cover the rest of the rust. Does any one know source on where to but some repair panels? Or am I going to have to fab some sheet metal? Internet only turns up rockers etc.

Thanks! Tom

Reply to
flannery
2 : spots on floor of front and rear passenger sides (holes) rest in good shape. : Planning on using POR-15 to cover the rest of the rust. Does any one know : source on where to but some repair panels? Or am I going to have to fab some : sheet metal? Internet only turns up rockers etc. : : Thanks! : Tom : Hey Tom... Repair panels... don't even think about it. I called my buddy at the Jeep dealer and he quoted me part numbers from a TSB related to floor pan rust. There are 2 panels and an installation kit. One panel is $400+ (CA) and the other is over $100. It seems they are also discontinued but some dealers may have stock on them. Why the price difference? we could only deduce that one panel included the hump while the other was just the pan.

I'm in the middle of doing this myself. Mine appeared to be good until I did a little destructive testing and I'm glad I did. The entire section over the frame showed various states of corrosion and I will be replacing it with

4'x4" strips (L&R) 16 or 18gu. steel. Inboard and outboard of the frame was mostly solid except for the pan plug over the muffler... gone. There were a few areas exposing daylight after pounding the suspicious bubbles. I laid a skim coat of short strand fibreglass, section of repair cloth and a top coat of short strand. These repairs are at least 5x larger than the infected area and I suspect they'll outlast me.

Have you removed the entire interior?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

mmmm, it is amazing I can find many repair panels except the Cherokee. Sounds like I will be doing some migging soon. Have not torn out interior yet, all in good shape except pass floors (where feet go) front and back. Suppose I will try the dealer just to see...??? What do you think comes with the installation kit?

Reply to
flannery

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Also lift the carpet in the cargo area.. if I had a place to post them I'd show you pictures of what my floors looked like. basically from the curve where the floor and firewall meet, right back to the front of the rear seat on both sides, passenger side was worse.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

"> Probably seam sealer and rivets... I was still a little woozy from the quote

Won't be rivets, floor repairs these days have to be brazed or welded, if you repair it in your garage, well 90% chance your going to use rivets, but any sort of shop or garage are going to weld.

Snow

Reply to
Snow