Cherokee lock-out

Hello. I've got a '93 Cherokee, and the central locking's started playing up. If I press the fob, it'll lock all the doors with a suitable clunk, but if I press it again it won't unlock -- there's a clunk, but it's not as loud as when locking -- then I have to use the key to open the door.

The fob has three diagonal rubber keys on one side, the central of which is longer than the other two; the central button's the one I use to lock/unlock (maybe these three strips are all part of the same button...). Could it be related to using the button on the inside of the door to lock them all simultaneously? I've tried both fobs and the same happened in both cases. Any ideas? I'm in the UK.

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sketchley

You're saying that there's no problem using the switch on the door... and you can lock the doors fine remotely, but you can't unlock them remotely? __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Sometimes the switch on the door doesn't seem to work -- say I unlock the driver's door using the key, if I flick the switch the other doors might not unlock. However, the fob locks the doors every time. It doesn't seem to be specific to one door; either they all unlock, or they don't. I tried it again this morning; two out of three times it unlocked OK; yesterday it didn't work at all. The intermittent nature of the fault is puzzling. It seems completely random.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sketchley

Probability is that the lubricant/grease on the locking mechanisms inside the door has hardened/polymerized and you need to relubricate the internal arms, joint and electric operator inside the doors.

Next time this malfunction is noted, look to see which door doesn't open/close by noting the individual mechanical lock switches (fob?) at the inside door release handle .... or try each door until you find the one that doesn't operate.

Then disassemble the door by removing the interior armrest, vinyl/fabric panel (pry from the bottom of the inside panel to disengage the plastic retainers), etc. By hand - operate the arms etc. inside the door while spraying a Teflon or Silicone lubricant until the offending joint loosens. The electric 12v operator is located down inside and to the front. You will have to remove a small rubber bellows/boot to lubricate the operator.

Hope you have small hands or you will inevitably scrape and cut yourself on the sheet metal edges, etc.

;-)

Mart> Hello. I've got a '93 Cherokee, and the central locking's started playing

Reply to
RichH

If some doors unlock, and some don't, then I would suspect mechanical, like needing lube (thanks RichH).

Since they *all* don't unlock, every time it fails, I'd suspect electrical. There should be relays for both lock and unlock... make sure that these relays are closing (do you hear a click when you ask for unlock, even when it fails to do so?) so you know that the wiring *to* the relay is good. Now swap the relays... does the problem go with the relay, or stay where it was? If it goes, it's a relay. If it stays, it's wiring/connections. Basic troubleshooting 101. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yes.

Reply to
Martin Sketchley

Swap the relays, and get back to us. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell