Cherokee only starts if I step on gas...

I left my flashers on overnight by mistake, which drained my battery. I charged the battery and now seems to crank OK. However, the engine doesn't start unless I step on the accelerator and hold it.

It a 1996, 4L, 6 cyl engine with FI. Could it be my fuel pump? If not ,what other causes are possible?

thanks, Mel

Reply to
Mel P.

That tells the computer to bypass certain sensor checks and start anyway.

Pull the diagnositc codes.

If it's running your fuel pump is working.

I'd say the computer is way confused, so first step is to reset it. Disconnect the battery for about 30 min then reattach it. If your Jeep has one, make sure the vehicle alarm is disarmed. Then turn the key to on, to run (not start) and listen for the pump to prime. Should run for a few seconds. Then turn the key to start.

Reply to
DougW

The "check engine light" is not on.

Will that make a difference.

thanks for the help,

Mel

Reply to
Mel P.

My Liberty did the same thing after a battery died. It would not start or idle without a foot on the gas. After about 15 minutes of highway driving things returned to normal and have been so since I replaced the battery. Curious!!!

Reply to
AJ

My TJ was wacky when the battery was low. After replacing the battery (and allowing the computer to reset) all was good again.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Low battery causes all sorts of problems with the computer. Resetting it usually cures those problems.

Reply to
DougW

Doug,

Reset the battery as you suggested and it works.

Thanks so much for the help and relieving the stress of getting a fuel pump or whatever fixed.

thanks aga>> Mel P. wrote:

Reply to
Mel P.

Glad to hear that worked.

Depending on how old that battery is, you might want to look into a higher capacity replacement. I go with one from PepBoys, AutoZone, or similar box store simply because they are everywhere. Depending on where you live, winter will tell you if the battery is getting weak. Especially if the Jeep goes "clunk, rrrr, rrrr, rrr.." in the morning. ;)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
man of machines