Cherokee radio keeps cutting out???

I have a 2002 cherokee laredo limited ( I think ) and the zarking radio keeps cutting out. There seems to be no real sequence to it, the day can be hot (90+) or mild (70), wet or dry. It can be on for 3 hours or only 15 minutes. The whole thing just shuts off whether we are playing a CD, tape or the radio. So anyone know what this might be please? Also is there a web site that may help me get the radio out to check it out. Thanks all

Reply to
harry palmer

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Nope just the radio, wouldn't the instrumentation tell me if the engine was over heating? I NEVER got this problem in my old 1988 Jeep Cherokee, lasted right up until the end AND I got cross bracings for the roof rack as standard.

Reply to
harry palmer

sounds like a cold solder joint inside the radio itself (I'm assuming that the clock display also dies when the radio cuts out).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

hey snow

nope I still have time when it won't play music ALSO even when there is no sound the radio stations and their information get displayed !!! It is also getting worse, last night it stayed on for 10 minutes before the sound cut out.

Reply to
harry palmer

Our Cherokee's radio is also possessed and does strange things like you describe. This week it only wants to work on AM and the display is off.

I 'know' I had a dead main body ground strap for a while so some major ground stealing was going on. The radio seems to be a place that allows a ground loop easily so I figure I fried something then.

Mike

Mike Romain

I lifted the back seat and hit the damn thing with a rubber mallet, as soon as I did this the radio sprang back to life. Must have been a loose connection. Thanks to all for help.

Hp

Reply to
harry palmer