cherokee reliability ?

Long story short... got a new hunting dog looking for a Cherokee in the 90-96 range 4x4 6cyl.

How reliable are they, is it going to be a giant money sink or fairly reliable. I know all older cars nickel and dime you eventually but will this last a bit if i properly maintain it ?

Reply to
thedarrenpeters

I've got a 2wd 96 Cherokee 4.0 and it's the best car I've ever had.

350,000 miles and it's been pretty much as reliable as a cement block. At about 300,000 I put in a rebuilt engine and replaced the water pump, and (original) clutch, it's on it's second alternator and starter.

Great car, it's fun to drive, comfortable as an old sneaker, gets decent mileage, and I'm going to keep right on driving it as long as I can.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I have had good luck with 10-15 year old cars. Of course, each one is unique, heh. If you live in the rust belt it would really, really pay to take a vacation to New Mexico and get a rust-free one. It might need a new engine or transmission, but then you essentially have a new car. The AC is going to have problems. The first time it leaks down on you, replace all the O-rings. Be ready to throw some money at it, because who the heck knows what the previous owner with to it. It would be better to be pleasantly surprised than the other way.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

good general use vehicle. i have about 200k on my 93 and so far the only issue is from when the prior owners drove it in part time 4wd on the street and stretched the chain in the transfer case. i recommend getting the upgraded selectrac if you can find it. if not its a new process 242 and fairly common in the used parts places. other than that just keep it maintained until it wears out then do the stroker kit to a 4.7 liter and keep going on down the road. 93 is the first year of the ho motor. the exhaust manifold may be cracked but thats an easy hour and a half to replace.

Reply to
2contactjack