Cherokee Spare Wheel Position

Guys (& girls)

I've got a Cherokee (2001 - X reg) which has the spare wheel mounted in the 'boot'.

I want to make more room in the boot (for trips away) and was considering mounting it on the exterior of the door.

My local UK jeep dealer reckons you can't get the fittings anymore - any ideas and thoughts on the pros and cons.

Cheers guys

Reply to
rwalters

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee w/ same configuration. I put the spare on the roof rack, held down with bungee cords. Just occasionally though, don't know if it is wise to do this permanently.

Reply to
Billzz

I wouldn't use bungees to strap a tire to the exterior of a vehicle, but I'm a pretty risk-adverse kind of guy. If it isn't bolted down it isn't secured, and if it isn't secured in a collision it is a missile.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

You wouldn't mount it on the door. The weight of the spare would make the door difficult to dangerous to open.

You would mount it on a swinging framework that takes the place of your bumper, or bolts to the body. You would then have to swing the spare out of the way every time you wanted to lift the back door open. These appear to be readily available in the U.S., on the

web site. Lookfor "Cherokee Tire Carrier" in their search engine. The bad news is customsduties, shipping, etc. The good news is that the British Pound is in prettygood shape compared to the dollar. Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'm in the Sierra Nevada, last stop a lot of Jeepers make before going to the Rubicon. The Safeway parking lot is always full of large-wheeled Jeeps, and others, some on trailers (not being street legal.) Lots of spare tires on top of Jeep roof racks. If properly secured, a spare tire on the roof rack is not going to go anywhere. But I wouldn't do this without a roof rack.

Reply to
Billzz

But, would you secure the spare tire to the STOCK roof rack? Or would you buy an upgraded rack with a specific tire mount? TIA

noneyabusiness

All I know is the stock roof rack on my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think the manual said 60 pounds limit, and the spare is less than that, so no problems. I can move the "bars" - whatever - to hold the spare inside the "square" made by the four bars, and with bungee cords, it is not moving. Now, other models, particularly if they do not have roof racks, should not do this. But that is all I know.

Reply to
Billzz

Doesn't the spare on a '99 Grand go in a well under the floor?

Reply to
billy ray

Yes! But the original question was, to get more space, taking the spare out, and where to put it.

That's what he asked.

And why top post?

Reply to
Billzz
  1. That is where Outlook Express defaults
  2. That is where most user posts go.
Reply to
billy ray

Too hard for me to follow. Bye.

Reply to
Billzz

"rwalters" wrote

You might want to reconsider. I had a 87 Cherokee 2-door with the spare on a swinging gate over the rear. Seemed like a good idea but proved a PIA. Took two hands to swing the spare, meaning one had to set the groceries down to open th rear hatch. Then the now damp bags would split .... you get the picture. Of course that may not be problem for you.

Reply to
Vito

of course - you have paper grocery bags don't you ?

Dave

considering

Reply to
Dave Milne

I like paper bags because they stand up. I live fifty miles from the grocery store, and plastic bags roll all over the back and dump their contents before I get home. All of the swing away tire carriers I have seen hinge from the right. Hinging from the right lets the carrier stay open by itself, when you are parked on the normal side of a crowned road. This may be a problem for the original poster, who lives where they all drive on the wrong side.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If you're stuck with plastic, tie the handles thusly: Loop left through right, new left through new right, newest left through newest right. Tug the latest right to tighten. It'll make a close approximation of a "blood knot" that won't come undone by itself while the cans are rolling around, but can be easily pulled out by hand.

Earle Hort> I like paper bags because they stand up. I live fifty miles from the

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Here u go ...

...and that's the thing with an XJ ... it's got a roof :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Drive more smoothly, Earle :-) Or put a plastic storage box in the back of your Jeep, and put the shopping ( Scottish - "messages") in the box.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Plastic bags and bungie cords. Can keep even gallon bottles of milk upright.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon