Chevy 350 Engine Swap

Hey, folks, I did some searching on the topic of swapping out engines on Jeeps but I've still got some questions. Basically, what's going on is a buddy of mine wants to get a Jeep and doesn't want a 4 cylinder but those are the ones in the price range he's looking for (and that aren't totally beaten up). So, my question is this: what would it take to pull a 4 cylinder from a YJ and install a Chevy 350?

Basically, he'd like to buy a cheap 4 cylinder Jeep, yank the engine and install a Chevy 350. I wanted to find out what the group thought before I go prostrate myself before a couple of off-road shops and get led around by the nose.

The Jeep won't be used for any hard-core rock climbing/crawling, or run with 40 something inch tires, just used to tow a boat trailer and some light off-roading/hunting.

Where does one start with this? Is the transmission going to bolt right up to the 350 (he wants to get the 5 speed manual, so no automatics)? Are engine mounts readily available to to fit the 350 to a YJ? Will the transfer case (I presume all YJ's use the NP231 (NP, right? I forget, but I remember my YJ has a 231 in it) hold up (assuming my buddy doesn't blatantly abuse it)? Will springs need to be changed to accomodate the added weight? Shocks? Will the stock radiator cool the 350 or is it going to have to be replaced?

Can one just use a carbureted 350, a simple distributor/coil ignition to keep this simple? What about meeting emissions testing? Is there a simple way to get a more-efficient fuel injected 350 to put in the Jeep, one with all the emissions parts in place (including what needs to be put on the exhaust)?

Thank you for your time and help.

--HC

Reply to
hboothe

Sounds an expensive way of doing it. The AX5 gearbox won't take the Jeep I6

4.0's power so it won't take a 350 either. However, if you want to try it you can visit advanceadapters.com for a bell housing converter which will set you back $405.70
,and they will also sell you engine mounts for another $150 bucks. Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
Reply to
Dave Milne

Hey, Dave, thanks for your response. What about changing out the transmission then? Get a gearbox out of a wrecked I-6?

--HC

Reply to
hboothe

You really need to start off with the emissions cops....

Most places have their motor vehicle dept. online now so you should be able to check.

Some areas insist on the engine at least as new as the vehicle, some insist on an engine made after 2000, some don't care and it becomes a 'hot rod', etc....

That will give you a better idea of what to look or ask for in parts. There is a guy I know with a Mustang 5.0 and the Mustang T5 tranny in his CJ7, so lots of swaps are possible.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Seriously, I think the best choice is to save up for a used I6. Re-reading your earlier post, I should point out that the Wrangler has a wheelbase that is very short - 93" IIRC, so the towing rating is 2000lb only. I hope that's a light boat !

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey, Bill, thank you for the info. I've gotten some figures together, including what the cost of the AX15 tranny would cost from a wreckin' yard, the adapters, and some other information. I've got a call in to my friend to let him know what I've found out. The most notable information, I think, is that you can buy these things already done pretty cheap (I love your allusion to the end of marriages which is probably more fact than fiction; I'll be sure to pass that on since my buddy's married with two kids ).

Thank you again.

--HC

Reply to
hboothe