choke linkage problem? (or "i am an idiot")

well thanks to all for their help last week with my starting problems - they did apparently all relate to the choke not functioning properly on account of a bad vacuum line to the pull-off... that was corrected, however i found myself still having non-starts unless the motor was completely cold. the temporary solution was to prop open the choke plate with a piece of wood, which would allow me to start up reliably... feeling like i wanted a more permanent solution i somewhere gathered that it was possible to adjust the choke plate by bending the linkage (uhh oh...). unfortunately i think i screwed this up. i foolishly bent the linkage on the drivers side - which is the linkage between the choke plate and the fast idle cam - instead of the linkage between the plate and the pull-off. afterwards she seemed to be happy for a few hours, starting reliably without my little wooden totem - except that she was idling a bit high. not making the connection between the choke plate being cracked open and the fast idle, i then attempted a roadside idle adjustment (uhhh oh!) during the course of which i completely FUBAR'd every setting i could get my little screwdriver on: the fast idle, the sol-vac, and the curb idle. now of course they are all totally out of whack and when i tried to bend the linkage back into its original position i find it impossible to get right... i checked out Dale's (i think) link on sprynet about the four stage process for adj the carb but cannot even get it close to idling properly... she revs way to high (about 1500-2000) and then when she finally settles down, she seems to lope around at about 200 for maybe

1-3 seconds and then she dies. when i 'blip' the throttle she revs and then stays up too high for about 20-30 seconds or until i blip it again

- then she dies. i am certain that this is all related to my misguided misadventure with the fast idle cam linkage, as there was no sign whatsoever of a vacuum leak previous to my attempting to 'fix' the problem. "better is the opposite of good" as my friend steve used to say... can some of you guys walk me thru the best way to solve this problem and get my carb dialed back in? i appreciate all your help. humbly yours, b

Reply to
bobvonbob

I highly recommend you go get the Haynes CJ manual. It covers all the carb setups. Trying to walk you through it piece by piece would take weeks likely... ;-)

Or you can get a carb kit for about $20.00 that comes with all the settings.

Mike

Mike Romain

hi mike - thanks for replying - i have the haynes YJ manual but am finding it less than informative. perhaps the CJ is better. i'll peel the plastic at the local auto parts shop and have a look... one more problem - i called up the local (the ONLY local) DC Jeep dealership to see about getting a new fast idle cam linkage rod and was told that they have no part number for that item and that i would have to order a whole new carburator! this made me suspicious, so i pointed out that this motor (258) came with a number of different carburator models and i wasnt sure which one if any he was referring to, he said he had no idea as he didnt have model numbers for the carbs... i then asked him what KIND of carb he was looking at and he couldnt even tell me the make! shouldnt a DC Jeep parts guy know a Carter carb? shouldnt he be able to at least ORDER the parts for the carb? is this normal? thanks for any advice... b

Reply to
bobvonbob

There are very few Jeep folks left at DC..... They would treat the carb as one unit though.

Did you break the rod? A Jeep or 4x4 shop might have such a part from an old one.

The BBD info in the Haynes starts on page 4-18 and is very detailed. Pretty much word for word with the directions that come with the carb kit. The engine bay wiring details are right on too.

I wouldn't mess with anything more until I had the book in front of me.....

Mike

Mike Romain

How much did you bend it?

Reply to
billy ray

well - a little too much i guess... unfortunately i attempted to 'fix' things after the first bend or two and thereby made things much worse... now i have no reference for what it should look like and its pretty well bent up. brain lock on my part i'm afraid. i'm calling around to see if i can find one - and i'm gonna go look at the CJ Haynes manual as it seems thicker and more detailed in every way from the YJ one - since mine is an 87 YJ with a 258 4L motor, she's very similiar to the CJ and perhaps i'll spring for that manual as well just for reference... differences anyone? auto hubs right? dash obviously, did the late CJ's come stock with a 5speed? same one? which one do i have anyway? questions questions... thanks for your time and help to everyone. bennett

Reply to
bobvonbob

whoops - i meant 4.2L engine - obviously... 4L's were all injected i believe and much later. sorry. bennett

Reply to
bobvonbob

The book gives the shape. I could take a couple photos of mine and email them to you if you would like.

Mike

Mike Romain

And perhaps a few measurements...

Reply to
billy ray

i would be very grateful mike. thanks - i'm at a loss here - cant seem to get a new one and cant seem to get this one right... cant get my idle set at all now. very annoying. its always the worst when i am the agent of my own troubles. b

Reply to
bobvonbob

One thing I have done if I bent something and needed to unbend it (especially something like a linkage) is to use a vice-grip. Clamping it on the bend usually straightens it out. I know you have further issues than this, but you might want to keep this trick in your pocket... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I was told in 1978 or so, that bending the choke linkage rod was not a legitimate way to adjust the choke. This is done at the gizmo that actuates the whole mechanism, whether it be electric, bimetallic, or whatever.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

LOL! I think I learned that in the 60's....

Mike

***

Reply to
Mike Romain