Choked on Tire Prices

Today I took my wifes car in for a oil change at a Goodyear retailer ($9.95 for oil, filter, lube and tire rotations).. While I was there.. I saw a really nice set of MT/Rs 32x11.50R15 and started to drool.. I asked "How much for these tires?" The guy behind the counter then said (Don't choke) "Oh, those are $250 a piece.." He then went on about how they are special off road tires and blah, blah, blah... I about choked on my soda I was drinking.. At those prices, he can keep them.. I have found them at Sam's Club for like $140 a piece...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My friend just had his BMW Z4 oil changed with fully synthetic. The dealer charged:

Oil 166.55 ( 88.13 GBP) for 6.5 litres. Labour 111.03 (58.75 GBP) Filter 14.43 (7.63 GBP)

Total 292.01 (154.51 GBP)

Couldn't believe it .... Makes the Jeep dealer look great !

Dave Milne

WTH?! Did they have the pull the goddamn engine out?! $111 for labour!!! HAHAHAHA! For that price they should have licked his seats clean. I guess if he can afford a Z4 tho that shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure that's the mentality of BMW, as well.

Reply to
griffin

griffin did pass the time by typing:

Hand picked oil molecules, by Juan Binladen.

The labor is just based on vehicle cost and owner gullibility. Heck, they want almost 80$ just to change my ZJ's xfr case fluid. How screwey is that! A two bolt 5min job.

Reply to
DougW

At that price I will stick with my Swampers!

Reply to
jbjeep

How can he change your oil and filter and do a grease job, plus rotate your tires for only $9.95. He is loosing big time with that low price. Maybe that's why his tire price is so high.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Are there no "Quick Lube" places in Scotland? Anyone who takes their vehicle to a dealer for an oil change is asking for trouble. You should offer to change it for him next time for half the price! :-)

Reply to
JimG

mabar did pass the time by typing:

In trade terms that's called a "carrot". Same as the 2$ case of sodapop at your local grocer. The idea is to get the foot traffic in and hope they buy larger ticket or impulse items.

Reply to
DougW

I offered to change it for him for the price the oil and filter would cost me (about 40 quid I think it would be for Mobil 1 + filter), but he was concerned he wouldn't get his maintenance book stamped.

Dave Milne

Thats why he can charge 9.95 for an oil change and tire rotation. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego