CJ brake leak

I am loosing brake fluid out of the top of the master cylinder. I replaced the cap with a new one, but it doesn't seem to be sealing right. How full should each section be anyway? 86 CJ, power brakes. Thanks

Reply to
Sleestak

i think about 1/4" from the top. make sure u push the seal back up into the cover before putting it back on. how tight is the wire clamp? maybe not tight enough?

Reply to
serg

Thanks for the response Serg. I'm going to try bending the wire a bit to add some more tension.

serg wrote:

Reply to
Sleestak

It should be full to the top. Well without spilling over anyway.

Did you get a 'new' metal cap and seal or just a used one?

The metal caps can get bent. Try sitting it on a flat to see if it is warped.

The 'rubber' seals do get dirty and can be cleaned. They can be removed and cleaned up. The lip of the reservoir also needs to be cleaned.

I have seen rust build up both on the rim of the reservoir and on the rubber seal. I had to use a razor blade on the rim and the back side of the blade on the rubber seal before to get them clean enough to seal.

If it has been leaking very long, the fluid is now 'very' dead and dangerous to use unless you live in a desert and even then....

When brake fluid is left open to the air it absorbs humidity which ruins it. It can then boil when coming down hill and the water will rust out the lines and cylinders from the inside out.

Mike

Sleestak wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain