CJ brake light update

So I changed the signal switch in my 81 CJ7, after having only one brake light if I turn on signal, found that wiggleing the signal switch got my brake light back. So anyway, changed the switch, but now I have one brake light brighter then the other, they work fine, and now work with signals. but one is brighter, and turning on tail lights means that since one is already brighter it then doesn't show up as a brake light, any ideas now???? Headlight switch?

Reply to
Greg

That sounds like the wires on the pigtail are reversed on one if it was a bulb with a pigtail. The wrong 'filament' is lighting up.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Greg

OK, I knew about the LED's. You have two 'sets' in there right, one brighter than the other. If those wires are OK and one side isn't reversed feeding power to the wrong 'filament' or LED 'set' which can cause that, then you are screaming ground theft.

That bar in the old one was a ground to the column? If so, then the wires in that place would likely need a ground tag.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Neighbour came over, told me to turn on arking lights, as soon as I did he said the wires are reversed on drivers side, just like you said, haven't switched them yet, will try tomorrow and let you know. He also looked at that little strap thing I was talking about, said it looks like the switch broke and someone just used a little peice of tin and 2 screws to hold it together, and not a ground. And that the 2 extra wires are for YJ, ( same switch ) for high beam.

Reply to
Greg

Well just like you thought, wires swapped, boy I've had my jeep for about

5-6 years, brake lights have never worked properly, signals iffy, sure nice to have all ligts working, broke down and ordered a windsheild washer pump today, going to be like a cadilac.
Reply to
Greg

Thanks for the update.

I have been running those little inline washer pumps CT sells for years now, am on my second one even.

What does an OEM one set you back?

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

$40.00 at Napa, my bottle has the original one on it, and then another someone put on, probably like yours, inline, niether one works, so will try the new OEM. How is your swap coming, have you started? I just went around with some seam sealer today on mine, now ready for paint, going on holidays next week, so will do it when I get back, will post some pics when done.

Reply to
Greg

The aftermarket has a rectangular wiper tank that fits most anywhere with a pump built into the bottom. I think the last one I bought cost $10.00 or so at J. C. Whitney. OEM is of course best for looks, but you can't beat ten bucks for something like this.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to