CJ frame repair

Guess there's no turning back on this rebuild now

I have found some frame rot at the rear sping hanger (big surprise). If I have to take it in and have the back 8 inches or so of the frame repaired, is it worth it? I really don't want to buy a new frame, but don't have any idea what to expect for a price on frame repair. I *could* do it myself, with the help of my future father in law. He repaired his and its been just fine, but I want to make sure it's done right since I wheel mine a lot harder than he does. So what does everyone recommend? Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the rust yet, just assume the rear portion of the frame probably needs to be rebuilt.

New frame - $1,800 Frame repair - $ ???? Used frame - $ ????

Reply to
Kevin S.

Mine is rotten back there too.

I found a shop that will put a piece of square tube over the last 8" or so and put the hangers and rear cross member onto them.

Mike

"Kev>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Did they charge you an arm and a leg or was it fairly reasonable? I know your prices are canadian, but I'm hoping to at least get a ballpark idea before I trailer it down there.

Reply to
Kevin S.

Heh heh, I didn't dare ask him yet....

My frame was snapped in half on the drivers side behind the front spring and he did a major patch there for a decent price. He had to cut off the body mount and the brake combination valve and the spring hanger

I am thinking on less than $100.00 per side for the rears which is allowing for an hour and a half labor each.

Put it this way, I will be happy if it costs no more than that and not put out if it is even 1/3 more.

Mike

"Kev>

Reply to
Mike Romain