CJ LED tail L questions

Has anyone, ( I'm sure they have ) put flush mounted tail lights in their CJ, or YJ. Questions are, what brand, do you need the flasher, and what did you do about back up light??? I've gone through 3 lenses and 2 sets of lights on my CJ, not to mention one fiberglass tub corner, so I got aluminum corners, no light cutouts, so I want to flush mount the lights. I was going to just flush mount the regular jeep tail lights, but that puts the back up light in the wheel well, although that might be nice if changing a tire in the dark, not much good for backing up. Are back up lights mandatory ?, ( Canada, but I'm sure the same in US ) I don't realy care if I have them, but don't want to gdt pulled over for it.

Reply to
Greg

Check these out.

Stupendous Man

good articles on installation:

JimG

You won't get pulled over for not having backup lights. You could be pulled over for having backup lights not turn off when on the roa, since most areas forbid white lights at the rear of a vehicle while on the road.

Why don't you mount the LED lights they use on semi trailers? They have running & brake/signal integrated in one housing in a variety of sizes. They're not cheap, but as long as your lights are burning out instead of getting broken, they're not any more expensive ocer the long run. Of course if you're breaking them, LEDs will break too and cost you a boatload more money to replace every time one gets smashed.

Cheers, - JG

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

Would your backup lights end up in the wheel well, or the license plate light?

Reply to
Steve Foley

My backup lights are in the lens. The license plate light is at the bottom and yes you do need that sucker. I have been stopped twice over the years for a burned out plate light.

Mike

Mike Romain

Just did mine a few weeks ago, I am really happy with it. Total cost was around $40 for lights, bezels, wires and license plate light. State law for me does not require backup lights, but they do require a white light to light up the rear plate so I had to get that as well. All of the parts came from a local place that just sells lights for trailers and semi-trucks, now that I have them on I have seen the same lights on a lot of the semi's. Cutting the holes was easy, draw a line using the bezel as a template and cut up to the line. For wiring I sabotaged my old harness and spliced using solder and some heat shrink. Rather than bolt the bezel to the tub I used rivets, easy, tight, never rattles. The ground wire is pinned to the tub using a rivet as well. I already had a heavy duty flasher, so that already worked. If the lights blink too fast get a HD flasher from your parts store. I just wired the white LED for the rear plate into the dim side of the lights and it is done. Just check your local law to see if you are required to have backup lights and/or a light on your plate.

Reply to
Rusted

My friend put something like the led lights on his ride a while back

)anyhow they didn't have a reverse light.. But then again he alwayshated how dim the reverse lights on his jeep were so he cut a couple ofholes in the bumper and installed some aftermarket Foglamps into thebumper wired up to his stock reverse lights.. Very Helpful.. Protectedand you can actually see behind you when you want to back up.. Alsogreat for pissing people off who talgate.. just stick a secondaryswitch on the dash :)...

Reply to
UtahCherokee01

regardless of local laws, it is kind of silly to not have a backup lamp, isn't it? I have a floodlamp, it shines a cone of light, so it lights up above and below where it is pointed, unlike a foglamp which is better for street use. I like seing what is behind me, and can use it for a worklamp when messing with trailers, etc.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

On my CJ it has never really bothered me to not have backup lamps. So I have not put a lot of thought into it. This is my first winter using it has my daily driver, most of the time it has the top off, and it is never an issue turning my head to see what is behind me and having a clear view. On other vehicles, especially longer ones I agree I did like the extra light. I have considered more of an underneath "rock light" to help see the trail when off-road, I guess I could easily double that into an aux light for the rear. And I have never wanted to pull any trailer with my CJ, too short, not enough weight. I have a small utility trailer that I have considered, but I would not want to get it too heavy.

Reply to
Rusted

A pair of fog lamps wired into the reverse switch might be too much current for the switch. A relay in the line might be a good idea. I've got a tractor headlamp for a reversing light on my `79 CJ.

Independent control of bright lights aimed at annoying traffic behind you -- while certainly an appealing idea -- is also certainly a ticketing offense. I know of at least one driver who was required to _remove_ the units or pay for a tow. The officer didn't care which way it played out, but it was either one way or the other.

UtahCherokee01 wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

That will likely burn out the reverse light switch pretty fast and if it is a Cherokee the freakin' switch can be $350.00....

Your friend should install a relay in the line.

Mike

Mike Romain

That's what he gets for shining the lights at a cop... It's yet another case of it not being illegal unless you get caught doing it... Hell, I would prefer to have a master electrical switch panel in the vehicle and be able to use it to turn on or off any of the varioius lights... A remotely controlled license plate shield would also be nice...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Mount a rear facing camera, with red-eye reduction.

Push the button, and the red light starts blinking. The driver behind you looks and says "Hmmm... I wonder what that red flashing light is", and stares at the blinking red light. At about the same time the flash goes off.

Reply to
Steve Foley