cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

Hello,

I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is just not right. I wonder if the previous owner (or so) used a driver side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.

Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
csdude

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

well I must have something screwed up really well when I replaced the axle shafts. (else I would never take them both off at the same time).

Actually, the wheel will only turn backwards with force and forward not at all. (They should put those brakes on a prius)

I am also wondering if I ever had the correct emergency brake lever in there.

With the adjusting star you mean the star of the adjusting screw, right?

R> Hi Ron,

g.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
csdude

oh btw; what confuses me in that drum brake is that the 'prongs' on the emergency brake lever seem to be pointing forward. I'd expect them to be pointing backwards so the prongs keep the cable from sliding off.

Ron

Reply to
csdude

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

that picture is of the driver's side, right? (I think I can see one of the front wheels).

The thing I wonder about, I did when I put it together, is if I have the correct emergency brake lever in there. On the driver side the cable slipped in th eright way. in the passenger side the parking brake lever seemed odd because it didn't seem to securely hold the cable. On both sids the cable comes in from the front, so the levers need to be in the back, correct?

It looks like the weather is going to be decent enough to crawl on the floor and take it apart.

What I'll do is post a pic of the assembled drum brake hardware, so that I can get a 2nd etc opinion.

Ron

Reply to
csdude

that picture is of the driver's side, right? (I think I can see one of the front wheels).

The thing I wonder about, I did when I put it together, is if I have the correct emergency brake lever in there. On the driver side the cable slipped in th eright way. in the passenger side the parking brake lever seemed odd because it didn't seem to securely hold the cable. On both sids the cable comes in from the front, so the levers need to be in the back, correct?

It looks like the weather is going to be decent enough to crawl on the floor and take it apart.

What I'll do is post a pic of the assembled drum brake hardware, so that I can get a 2nd etc opinion.

Ron

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

ok, mystery solved. I had the shoes backwards, although that didn't seem to be the real problem.

Main problem was that apparently the parking/emergency cable was really close to the muffler and melted pretty much solid in the middle and didn't want to move. (I had a complete new exhaust installed after my 258-242 head conversion). The cable was out of the way, but when the parking cable came under tension it must have hit the muffler. that resulted in brakes being way to tight on the passenger side and locked the wheel. Cable is on order and the wheel spins like it is supposed to. (My new one piece moser axles stayed in place really nice too... no play whatsoever)

anyway, thanks.

R> Hi Ron,

.
Reply to
csdude

Cool!

Main problem was that apparently the parking/emergency cable was really close to the muffler and melted pretty much solid in the middle and didn't want to move. (I had a complete new exhaust installed after my 258-242 head conversion). The cable was out of the way, but when the parking cable came under tension it must have hit the muffler. that resulted in brakes being way to tight on the passenger side and locked the wheel. Cable is on order and the wheel spins like it is supposed to. (My new one piece moser axles stayed in place really nice too... no play whatsoever)

anyway, thanks.

R> Hi Ron,

road:

Sounds correct, I don't believe you could put the lever in another way.> Make sure the emergency cable are loose, Some people (like mikie here)> believe they can tighten the cables up and adjust the brakes, totally> screwing up the configuration.> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III