cj5 tire clearances

i need some help i have a 1963 cj5 with stock springs running 31/10.5/r15 with the 1" wheel spacers I have about 1" clearance between tire and front springs when wheels turned no rubbing. i plan on adding 4" suspension lift (springs only) stock shackles now here is the tough question : what size tire would be best suited for this set up? any and all responses would be a great help thanks snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
dennisjeep

You can dump the spacers, they just stress the crap out of the wheel bearings. The clearance between the spring and tire on full turn is adjustable easily by means of adding washers to the steering stop bolts.

When I lifted my CJ7, I went 3" and the new 'glass body tub sits an inch or so higher than stock so I could go almost any tire.

I decided to only go up to 33's. Most of our trails are accessible easily with the 31's I had on before so the 33's have tons of clearance.

I also use mine as a daily driver so kept with a tire that still has decent street manners.

I also believe in tall skinny tires like the original Jeeps used. I figure if fat tires would have helped those GI's getting their butts shot at, they would have used them. Tall skinny tires just don't spin, they grab and you go. Fat tire spin and dig holes...

One Jeeper from this group that also runs tall skinnies in a 33x10.5 size was at a mud pit competition as a spectator because he had his front driveshaft removed.

So this guy with monster tires got stuck in the middle of the pit and they convinced Steve to go in and pull the guy out rather than wait for the tractor not knowing he only had 2 wheel drive.

So he pulled the guy out like nothing, then ran the pit and just walked right on through where they guy was stuck, in 'two' wheel drive...

Mike

Mike Romain

I'd suggest signing up at the Early CJ5 forums-

Whatever you plan to do with your '63 somebody there (probably a lot of people) have already done it & know what the ups & downs are.

H.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer