CJ7 wide or narrow?

Is the axle on a dana 30, on a wide track CJ, only longer on one side, or are both sides longer? Reason I'm asking is my frame broke on my 81 narrow track, I just bought a CJ with a with a good frame from the wrecker, it is probably wide track. I've replaced my dana 30 with hub upgrade and cromoly axles, so was just wondering if I could swap over and just get one new inner axle? On another note anyone want to buy a good back seat, perfect front passenger fender, steering wheel, Mike I think you needed the steering shaft, tranny is there, don't know what it is yet, being delivered this afternoon, anyone????????. May be misc. other parts that can go too, but it is pretty picked over, all I want is the frame. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Ouch, busted frames are a pain...

Are the wide and narrow track Jeep frames the same?

OK, I am not 100% on this, but when I needed a new axle short end, (u-joint out) the shop gave me two narrow track ones to rip apart for what I needed. For sure the short side is shorter and 99% the long side is also shorter if I remember right.

I have a bead on a steering shaft locally that I am going to go grab this afternoon, but thanks for thinking of me.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Is the axle on a dana 30, on a wide track CJ, only longer on one side, or
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike, I looked at axles online, outters are the same, but both inners are different, as for frame, I hope it's the same, I measured front end, its the same width, will measure back to make sure. Frame broke right where rear spring hanger attatches in front, came off with 8" of frame attatched, real pain place to get welded with body mount, spring hanger, brake cable mount, fuel line, there is more attached to that 8" of frame then anywhere else on jeep. The new frame I can't realy find anything wrong with it, looks like it was factory undercoated, I wacked at it in a few places and undercoat came off showing what looks like original paint. At $350.00 I figured I couldn't go wrong with the one good front fender I can always use, the steering gear box I can use, good hardtop just missing back hatch. I'll go measure back of frame and between springs to make sure it's the same as narrow track, let you know. Vin shows it's an 86.

"Mike Romain" wrote in message news:46a758ae$0$16075$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

Reply to
Greg
86? Maybe you are lucky and it has the Dana 44 rear like mine?

Maybe the only difference is the fender flares then?

I also snapped my frame in the 'exact' spot as yours! The mount had to come off for the repair. I just had the outer rail beefed op and left the inner box shattered. The inner box causes all the troubles anyway, it was a 'failed' 'add on' to slow down the flex so they couldn't tip as easy, thank Ralph Nader for that. This just stressed out the frame causing them to fatigue snap and a place to hold hundreds of pounds of mud to rot things out. Took two days to hose that sucker out when I rebuilt her.

I have a frame swap needed in the near future too, just need income for that...

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Frame and mounts are the same on narrow and wide track. Anyone know what procomp lift kits are like? This rolling frame has a 4" procomp lift, but don't know what they are like.

Reply to
Greg

Frame and mounts are the same but the front shock mounts will be different. Wide track had tall shock mounts and narrow track had short mounts. There can also be a difference in how the rear center brake line mounts to the cross member. Slight difference in the front brake line brackets where the lines exit the frame. None of the differences are serious or difficult to deal with, you just need to be prepared for them.

Reply to
T. Greening