CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problem

Hi,

76 CJ7 The people who installed my windshield put on one of my windshield wipers pointing the wrong direction. In other words, the passenger side was pointing left (facing the vehicle) and the driver's side one was pointing right. I didn't think too much about it because they seemed to work and it was in the middle of a blizzard and I was anxious to get out of there. Well before long, the driver's side one (the one that is on the wrong way) flopped below the windshield. It appears that it is actually 90 degrees off of where it should be. There is a nut on the front of the wiper (between the blade and the windshield). I thought that loosening this would let me take the wiper off or something - but it doesn't seem to do any good. Folding down the windshield, and looking at the linkage inside, there appears to be no way to change the position of the wiper without serious difficulty. Unfortunately I can't take the Jeep back to the people who did it because they are too far away. How do I get this wiper back where it should be?

Thanks

Reply to
Jay Stuler

There is a spring clip under the arm you push with a small screwdriver or pliers and use a flat screw driver to lever the arm off it's spline. A spray of penetrating oil is a good idea.

It then just slips back on in the right place.

Mike

Jay Stuler wrote:

pointing the wrong direction.

the driver's side one was pointing right.

middle of a blizzard and I was anxious to get out of

flopped below the windshield.

but it doesn't seem to do any good.

to be no way to change the position of the wiper

are too far away.

Reply to
Mike Romain

pointing the wrong direction.

the driver's side one was pointing right.

middle of a blizzard and I was anxious to get out of

flopped below the windshield.

but it doesn't seem to do any good.

to be no way to change the position of the wiper

are too far away.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks guys. Why aren't you ever in the garage when I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Jay Stuler proclaimed:

You'll need to lure them in with a beer whose scent carries further.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I assume from his last response, your suggestion fixed him up. But, along the same lines, do you know of any way to make them that way on purpose and properly? I don't mean just putting the wipers on the stems wrong, I mean instead of my wipers being like normal ( // ) I want them to be together at the middle ( /\ ) so that both driver and passenger have an unobstructed view. I'm about to replace the wiper motor so I'll be in there with the guts anyway. It seems like I should be able to simply move the linkage. Anybody done this?

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Do you mean to make them do this?

( / \ ) ( | | ) ( \ / ) ( | | ) ( / \ )

You'd have to redesign the linkage and reposition the wiper mounts. As it came from the factory, the motor drives a gear box that drives a connecting rod attached to a bell crank on the left wiper. The right wiper is driven by a bell crank and connecting rod from the left wiper.

Getting the wipers to move in opposite directions might be as easy as inverting the right hand bell crank, but the wipers will probably interfere with each other unless you move one of them, and that means making a new connecting rod.

FWIW, I repositioned the "Park" switch on my motor to make them park to the other side. I like the way they wipe better that way.

Or, you could install single-arm vacuum-operated wiper motors...

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The linkages are extremely touchy about the angles inside too. They will jam really easy if the alignment isn't perfect. The movement is almost over center on each side as it is so some major parts work would be needed.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes Lee, that's what I want.

Actually Mike, I have a YJ w> The linkages are extremely touchy about the angles inside too. They

Reply to
Clap Trap

The extra wire on the YJ motor is likely the ground. The CJ motor grounds through the hinges which can get iffy. Here is a trick, try adding a ground wire direct to the CJ wiper motor. Mine doubled in speed when I did this.

And yes, you would have to change the pivot hole's place to use the stock linkage upside down. Good luck....

Mike

Clap Trap wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thinking about it more, you might not have to reposition the wiper mount, if you can get the blades to interleave when they come to the center. You know, left before right.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The linkages are across the bottom so to move the long one to the top would mean a longer arm or a closer hole.

The only way I know to successfully move the hole is to cut out the whole piece about 2" high by 4" long with the hole in the middle and move the whole works. The holes are up on dimples and the linkage 'will' jam up if they aren't perfectly square on that dimple.

I had to move the hole on my aftermarket frame, they put the dimple just slightly in the wrong place so the linkage jams up. Thankfully I had a spare hole from my old frame that I hadn't tossed out.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain