Cleaning Door lock/latch mechanisms

I need to service my door latches and locks. What's the best solvent to remove the old grease, and the best stuff to re-lube the mechanisms?

Also, is there an on-line reference to removing the door panels on a

95 XJ, or is it as "simple" as removing the inner latch plate and speaker grills and then PULLING on the panel?

Should I have any replacement parts on hand before I start? (linkages and or door panel rivits?)

TIA

noneofyourbusiness

Use a rag with nothing on it. You don't really need to remove ALL of the old grease. Use white lithium grease to lube it. NOT the locks, of course. A little graphite goes a long way there.

Arm rest screws. Little screw up near the mirror, usually behind a plastic plug.

If you're careful or you buy a panel removal tool (generic) you won't break the silly little plastic rivets and you won't pull them out of the door panel by mistake (could mean a new door panel)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Thanks, I'll look for one of those tools.

noneofyourbusiness

Look for the Motormite "Help!" section at the auto parts store.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

The plastic doo-dads are commonly called "trees"

are real cheap if you know where to buy them.I picked up a bag of 50 from
DOOR TRIM PANEL RETAINER 18915 1 6.15

(this says Chrysler Caravan, Cirrus, Neon, Stratus & Voyager #6504014 1995-on but it's the same as the Jeep part, just white, not yellow, whaaaah!)

JEEP SCREW GROMMET - 25 19276 1 5.33

Reply to
DougW