Clear instructions to replace radiator in '88 Jeep Comanchee?

My cooling system woes continue, this time with a water pump and radiator replacement. Both seem like they should be relatively straightforward (if time-consuming) replacements, but does anyone have a website that itemizes the radiator replacement? I've found one, but more information is usually good.

Any real "gotcha's", besides the fun that often happens when replacing parts that haven't been off the truck in 18 years? I'm going to be replacing the hoses at the same time; the thermostat was done recently, so that shouldn't be an issue. I also need to replace the PVC valve, and apparently some of the hoses for that.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Oh yea.. antifreeze goes all over the damn place. Rags and buckets will help a lot.

My experiences on the 93 ZJ told me the aftermarket radiators are close but not exactly like the OEM. Mainly the fiddly bits, rubber mounts, foam, etc has to be taken off the old radiator and fit to the new one.

Mark any cross braces you take off, so you can put them back where they belong. This is important on the ZJ because the crossbrace holds the hood latch.

If you have a transmission cooler in the radiator, pay attention to the fittings and get them tightened down properly or you will leave a trail of tranny fluid all over the place. :( It helps to put a teeny bit of thread sealant (not teflon tape) on the fittings, just keep it out of the line.

While you have the hoses off it's a good time to replace them.

Don't reuse the spring clamps if that's what you have. Get some new hose clamps and remember to bend the ends over so they don't back off.

Put a piece of cardboard between the fan and the radiator to protect the radiator when you install it.

May as well flush the engine while your in there. I used a few fittings and the ol garden hose. :)

This is also an easy time to get at the power steering box and replace any worn hoses. Same with the heater hoses.

Another thing to look at while your there is the harmonic balancer (if you have one) Make sure it's not walking off.

Reply to
DougW

Often one sees teflon tape on the threads of flare or compression fittings, such as in-radiator transmission coolers, gas fittings, or even sink drain compression fittings. Tape or thread sealant on these types of fittings doesn't seal anything, because the thread is not the part where leaks occur. Still, one sees it. A tiny bit of anti-seize compound or thread sealer could prevent corrosion and certainly won't harm anything if applied as Doug suggests. I have seen cases where it looked like it had been applied with a drywall spatula. I guess some people think that if a little is good, a lot is great.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

One question... Was the transmission cooler just part of the automatic transmission package, or could I have one on my 5-speed? I don't have the Jeep here now, so I can't check for extra hoses going to the radiator. But I'm guessing that I have to get the correct radiator if I need one with a transmission cooler built in.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

The 5 speed won't have a transmission cooler.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

And if you are going used, you can use the auto rad no problem.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike is right, an auto rad is a perfect fit.

When I changed the rad in my 87 XJ, I bought a new 91 jobber rad and cap. It is a lot easier to fill and purge of air than the stupid closed system. You can put an overfow on it, but not necessary because of the overflow tank in the closed system.

Merrill

Mike Roma> And if you are going used, you can use the auto rad no problem.

Reply to
merrill