clutch problema, pls HELP!

why is it that i always run into the most unique problemas?! it's just not fair! haynes troubleshooting section does not cover it (forget chilton) a search of this group does not yield a single hit either

here's the problema- the light just turned green at an intersection and so i wanted to hit the clutch and shift into first but...the clutch pedal wouldn't let me release it! that is, it just wouldn't go down, it felt as if someone put a brick under the pedal i frantically stepped on the pedal 3 or 4 times but it remained rock solid in the uptop position folks behind me started honking since i wasn't moving anywhere but i don't blame them ok, calm down, i'm thinking to myself a while later after everyone deserted the intersection i tried negotiating the stubborn pedal again this time, i pressed on it lightly at first but with increasing force i was stunned, the pedal went right in! i released the pedal and attemped to press it again as i did a million times before but i hit a brick again!

to make a long story short, here's the bottom line- whenever sudden pressure is exerted against the pedal (as in normal driving) the clutch pedal wouldn't move but if i step on it gradually (taking some 3 secs to disengage the clutch) it lets right in the clutch works perfectly fine otherwise any ideas?

fyi, the fluid level is where i left it last year- full reservoir

it is a 91 i6 yj we're talking any input appreciated, tia

-pete

Reply to
Peter D.

Peter D. did pass the time by typing:

Not a clutch expert, but that sounds to me like something is binding. Either a link or a piston. But it's not common at all for a piston to bind up.

Reply to
DougW

I hazard a guess that your slave cylinder is hanging up. If the pedal moved perhaps 1/2", I'd be inclined to look at the clutch plate.

The '91 YJ still used the > why is it that i always run into the most unique problemas?! it's just not > fair!

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

folks! thanks all for your suggestions i was pissed when you started pointing out possible major screw up inside the clutch cover. i couldn't believe a broken spring could cost $1000 worth of repairs, not so much in parts but mostly in labor. no way i could rip half of the underside apart in my garage. so starting this past sat morning, very upset, i did what little i could do- examine the clutch master cylinder- the only fairly easily accessible clutch component. i disconnected the hydraulic line from the cylinder, wraped the cyl w/ some rags and hit the damn clutch pedal. I HIT THAT BRICK again! folks, you have no idea how happy i was to discover that it was the master cyl causing all problemas. it was definately a brick off my chest. so i took that bastard out of the vehicle (w/ much help of the haynes manual, i admit) dying to see what was wrong w/ it. i took it all apart and found...the plunger spring occured in FOUR pieces. folks, you have no idea what kind of havoc that ripped spring left inside. nearly every little piece of the master's internals was scratched or bent. the bore was a disaster!. i wondered how it had not started to leak yet. but it hadn't. i ran to a nearby autozone and grabbed a new aluminum cylinder totalling $65 worth of parts. it looked nice! i put that thing where it belonged on the jeep, bled the sys and was done by evening. folks, the clutch has felt like never before, i don't think it ever worked better!

again, thank you all for your input, thank goodness i did not have to take my veh to a shop. not this time.

  • * * in case you are wondering, i am starting to have another problema w/ my jeep, this time of electrical nature- the voltmeter needle starts to act up. i will keep you posted when it begins to happen at any regularity. i love it!

"Peter D." wrote in message news:kNMYd.2097$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga... | | why is it that i always run into the most unique problemas?! it's just not | fair! | haynes troubleshooting section does not cover it (forget chilton) | a search of this group does not yield a single hit either | | here's the problema- | the light just turned green at an intersection and so i wanted to hit the | clutch and shift into first | but...the clutch pedal wouldn't let me release it! | that is, it just wouldn't go down, it felt as if someone put a brick under | the pedal | i frantically stepped on the pedal 3 or 4 times but it remained rock solid | in the uptop position | folks behind me started honking since i wasn't moving anywhere but i don't | blame them | ok, calm down, i'm thinking to myself | a while later after everyone deserted the intersection i tried negotiating | the stubborn pedal again | this time, i pressed on it lightly at first but with increasing force | i was stunned, the pedal went right in! | i released the pedal and attemped to press it again as i did a million times | before | but i hit a brick again! | | to make a long story short, here's the bottom line- | whenever sudden pressure is exerted against the pedal (as in normal driving) | the clutch pedal wouldn't move | but if i step on it gradually (taking some 3 secs to disengage the clutch) | it lets right in | the clutch works perfectly fine otherwise | any ideas? | | fyi, the fluid level is where i left it last year- full reservoir | | it is a 91 i6 yj we're talking | any input appreciated, tia | | -pete | | |

Reply to
Peter D.

Peter D. did pass the time by typing:

Me too. Usually if that happens there is fluid going everywhere.

Good diagnostic idea though, separating the master cylinder and giving it a press.

Glad it turned out to be a cheap(er) fix.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III