Clutch question

I drove my '94 YJ in a parade last night with a friend of mine who is running for elected office standing in the back. The parade was slow moving so I just kept it in first using the clutch to inch forward and keep up. The whole time I was thinking I'm not doing the clutch any good and why did I agree to do this with my Jeep? Would it be better to use 4 Hi or Lo and just crawl along? I was thinking since the surface is blacktop that may do more damage than using the clutch. Any thoughts since I have to do this again in a few weeks in another parade? Thanks

-- H-S-F

Cut your hair to respond.

Reply to
help-slip-franklin

jeff

Reply to
RoyJ
4Hi is not useful for this sort of thing. You want 4Lo, but you would need to remove the front drive shaft or the vacuum hoses to the front axle passenger side disconnect.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have a friend who has a 55 Willy's wagon . He run's in 4-low for parades. Did a parade with my 47 willy's two years ago with him and did the same thing.Worked great.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Even the CJ's have locking hubs so I can drive in 4 low easily. He has a YJ with automatic hubs so he will need to disconnect the front or risk blowing something.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Whose real and whose a poser? H-S-F

Reply to
help-slip-franklin

Unless your Jeep's designation begins MB or GP it is a poser.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That means a Postal Jeep and a Surrey are Real Jeeps.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Ah! Now your saying there are 'gradations' of Real Jeeps. Hmmm.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Well all Postal Jeeps use the Dana 44 rear end, Yes, I believe with

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

what about TJs with D44s then ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hmm... my Studebaker truck has a Dana 44 and I've driven it through stuff that most "normal" people never take their 4 wheel drives (not real Jeepers of course!). Come to think of it it's got more ground clearance than most of them too.

Does that make my Studebaker a real Jeep?

Jeff DeWitt

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I believe Jaguar used it too, but I've taken that truck places where no sane person would take a Vet or a Jag (or a Studebaker truck for that matter ).

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt