compromise tire

I will be replacing my tires soon and am looking for opinions. I'm running mud tires right now, but am thinking of going with an AT because my Jeep is my daily driver(my wife is very persuesive about the noise level ). I'd like to get something a with a bit less noise as a few road trips are in our future.

Ideally, I'd like to find something between an AT and a MT.

I have heard really good things about the BFG AT KO from a bunch of people. How does this do off road (mud/rock/snow)?

Anyone use the Pernelli Jones Dirt Grip Tires? I know that Petersons rated it pretty good across the board.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Chad Fraker

"I have heard really good things about the BFG AT KO from a bunch of people. How does this do off road (mud/rock/snow)?"

I have been running that tire for about 6 years now on two different vehicles, one a old work pick up, the second a CJ-7. I don't like cleaning off mud all that much, but the tires have always worked well enough in the mud to keep me happy. I live in Utah and just 4 hours from Moab. So the tires have seen lots of use in both snow and rock, and I am very happy with them. The last moab trip I did not air down at all for one of the easier rides, and I did lose some chunks of rubber of the edges. One thing I do like is the high mileage they seem to get. After 6 years (4 of them it was a primary car for me) the tire tread was still around 75%. The jeep tires are now 5+ years old (this is a toy so not heavy miles those years), and these tires even driven in sharp rocks, and with lockers on the street still look around 75% as well. Compare that to my friends procomp tires on his suburban, and after 2 years and 20K miles they look like they are shot.

Reply to
Rusted

I went with Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs on my '01 TJ and love them. They haven't been offroad a bunch, but when they have, they've performed well. They're great on road.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Interco Trxus MT's... they are amazingly quiet on the road, perform awesome in the mud and rocks and I don't think you'll find a better snow tire...not sure how they wear...mine are only a month old...also another good all round tire that I really recommend is the NEW Cooper STT...they're quiet and wick'd off road... both the tires I mention are mud tires that are siped well which help the quiet ride and gives better ice and rock traction...

'03 TJ w/ 33" Trxus '95 ZJ w/ 31" Cooper STT's (both Jeeps are DD's)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeep

The folks over on alt.autos.chevy-trucks and alt.auto.4x4.chevy-trucks rave about the BFG AT KO. I'm considering them for my next tire.

Brandonb

Chad Fraker wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

in article d8la28$hmk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net, Brandonb at snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.kamikos.com wrote on 6/13/05 5:57 PM:

That describes the Goodyear MT/R, I'd say! Worth a look. I like 'em.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

in article Xplre.62679$tt5.41176@edtnps90, Jeep at snipped-for-privacy@eastlink.ca wrote on 6/13/05 12:48 PM:

Been doing a little May/June snow driving, huh?

-jeff (I dont' think it's possible for a tire to be good in both mud and snow IMHO... knobby tires are not your friend in slippery conditions... OK, big knobs can claw you through a snowdrift, but...)

also another good all round

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

in article d8la28$hmk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net, Brandonb at snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.kamikos.com wrote on 6/13/05 5:57 PM:

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I have run four sets of tires on my current CJ-7: BFG ATs, Yokohama Geolander ATs, Super Swampers, and currently BFG MTs. My observations:

BFG AT: First replacements tires I put on jeep, 31x10.50. Great all around tire, good offroad performance although something more agressive would be better on rocks. Wear like iron. Got 38,000 miles from them, with plenty of tread left when they were replaced with larger tires after my first lift. (a puny 2".)

Geolander AT: 32x11.50. Another great all around tire. Less noise on pavement than BFG AT. Excellent in sand, surprisingly good in rocks (ran the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim and Moab with them - no complaints), but probably not so good in mud. (Don't know for sure - not much mud in SoCal.) Got 35,000 miles from them (probably had another 5-8,000 left when I replaced them.) I would have run them until completely worn out, but I went to a taller lift and wanted bigger tires.

Super Swamper: 33x12.50. Great offroad. Suck on pavement. Wear faster than a pencil eraser. Enough said.

BFG MT: 35x12.50. I really like these. Great offroad performance in sand, on rocks, and in what little mud I could find. Not too loud for me on the highway (it's a jeep, for God's sake!).

Note: I currently have BFG ATs on my '87 F250 4x4 diesel pickup (33x12.50-16.5). Will probably go with the same when they are replaced later this year. I recommended Geolander ATs for my girlfriend's lifted Grand Cherokee. She likes them.

Reply to
Robert Bills

a 1/2 worn MT :-)

Reply to