Coolant drain 2.5 liter

Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm looking for the engine block coolant drain on the 1995 2.5 liter Wrangler engine. I figure after 90,000 miles on the same coolant mixture it was delivered with, it is time for a change. If anyone has a picture, I would really appreciate it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

From the '95 XJ-YJ manual

DRAINING COOLING SYSTEM

ALL MODELS-EXCEPT XJ WITH 4.0L

6-CYLINDER ENGINE

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER

BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR

DRAINCOCK WITH SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER

PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT

CAN OCCUR.

DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If the solution

is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for

reuse.

DO NOT remove the radiator cap when draining

the coolant from the reserve/overflow tank. Open the

radiator draincock and when the tank is empty, remove

the radiator cap. The coolant does not have to

be removed from the tank unless the system is being

refilled with a fresh mixture.

(1) Drain the coolant from the radiator by loosening

the draincock.

(2) Drain coolant from engine as follows:

(a) On 2.5L 4-cylinder engines (all models) by removing

drain plug at left rear side of block.

(b) On 4.0L 6-cylinder engines by removing the

drain plug or coolant temperature sensor on the

left side of the block (Fig. 19).

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks, but I took a look and there is no way I could get my hand back there without a vehicle lift and being at least ten years younger. I flushed the system instead, and rinsed it with distilled water when I was done. I did discover a snapped off exhaust manifold stud when I was poking around. It's the back one. That sounds like a fun job. It's not leaking now, but it will be soon enough.

"DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant." Hmm, after twelve years I figured it deserved new coolant, even though what came out was clean enough. Here's a good way to fill the system. Take off the heater hoses at the block, get a funnel, and pour distilled water in the top one until it comes out the other one clear. Then hook the bottom (new) hose up to the engine, and pour in a quart or so through the top (new) one. Now you have the top heater hose, and the fitting on the thermostat housing, open to the air. Pour coolant into the radiator until it comes out the heater hose fitting, then stick the hose on it. That got most of the air out, and I didn't have to wait long for coolant to start flowing once I had started the engine.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to