Coolent Leak w/Off & Not w/On? Huh?

Heater went out last week. I drive 15 Mi/week. 1 Mi into a drive Jeep stalled out, smoked under hood....I bought bottled water at a local store, turned over engine,radiator took 1.5 Gal. and went 1 mile home. Very minimal dripping when in neutral/idle. Turn off the engine and a small but steady stream commences. Looks like it's coming from the connection point of the water pump and the hose (that ultimately leeds to the corner bottom of the radiator directly below the radiator cap). Can't see it too well...and it seems to be on the underside of that point/spot.

Next day in the cold jeep poured coolent in radiator and the leak commencences at the seemingly same location. Again, the engine is off.

  1. Within the radiator does the coolent travel down (when filling) and then go diagnoal up to the water pump via gravity (rising diagnonally via that hose)?

  1. Since the Jeep is off...is the coolent likely escaping through a leak/crack in the hose at the connection point to the water pump? (explaing why it leaks when cold).

  2. And then when the engine is on and water pump functioning....the leak appreciably subsides......because the water pump is functioning and taking in coolent and circulating it?

  1. And since I drive minimal miles...the water pump is getting enough coolent to sufficiently circulate and cool the engine...but not enough to delivery to the heater core thus explainint no heat?

Just trying to piece together this puzzle. I'm going to take the vehicel to the shop but since none of the gauges indicate any problem....I'm thinking this is likely due to a hose crack/hole that's not visible...and not a cracked or leaking seal with the water pump or heater core.....

All hints and clues appreciated..

Thanks

Andrew...

Reply to
Globaldisc

L.W.(ßill)

My money is on the shaft packing giving up the ghost, allowing coolant to leak past it, dribble down the front of the pump housing and then down the hose. I'll bet if you grab the fan and wiggle it there's lots of play: tink-tink-tink. If that's it, you'll need a new pump.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

If you feel close, you will find a vent hole under the middle near the end of the snout on the waterpump. The water sounds like it is coming out of there.

This happens when the pump seal and/or bushing gives out. These leak worse sitting off at first, then you get a gusher and aren't driving 100 feet.

You will need a new pump if that is the leak.

Mike

Globaldisc wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

just checked the fan....no play, solid/firm as a rock. nonetheless i appreciate the hint/clue. btw, i have a '96 grand cherokee w/120K Mi.

Reply to
Globaldisc

This happens when the pump seal and/or bushing gives out.

Reply to
Globaldisc

I'll confirm that ... I'd park the jeep and sometime later there'd be a puddle. Coolant was coming from that vent hole indicating worn seals etc. It was difficult to spot because of old oil etc down there. After cleaning and then checking, the problem was obvious and a new water pump was required. There's a metal tube associated with the pump you may need to replace at the same time (rust)..

Reply to
bowgus

Replace all the coolant hose's when you replace the pump, also replace the clamps (get rid of those stupid chrysler clamps).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow