Coverting YJ fro MAnual to Automatic

Wondered if anyone out there had ever swapped out an AX15 manual trans for a factory automatic trans in a YJ. Seems easy, almost a bolt-in in thought, but haven't heard of anyone doing it (with the stock engine). Only online article I could find was to swpaa in a GM 700r. Simple summary, getting tired of shifting on the trail, want an automatic! (Hey, maybe this is the ewxcuse I was looking for for the GM crate engine & trans, eh?)

Reply to
SoK66

It would be cheaper and cleaner to sell the one with a manual and buy a new one with an automatic. If you could do this job easily, you wouldn't need to ask us how, you would just dive in and do it. Since you had to ask, I suggest you need to trade your Jeep in for one tht has the transmission you want.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks, Bill. This actually may not be worth the trip, but seems one could find a scrapped YJ auto & scrounge the trans and all the tough little stuff for the swap, including the PCM. Not sure if they used two different harnesses in '94, or just blanked out the trans plugs. Certainly one would need the pedal cluster, cables, trans module, flex plate, trans & converter, starter (maybe?), rear mount hardware, etc. Then there's the column shift issue with auto CJs & YJs, but one could maybe swap in a Lokar or Art Carr floor shifter.

But then so is the 700, which is the choice of Hot Rodders.> Modifications:

Reply to
SoK66

WOW Jeff, that was pretty hard. Drink a beer and go kick the dog...or better yet, the neighbors dog.... Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

My personal quote to my apprentices "The ONLY time a question is stupid, is when you ask it for the third time" Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Well, at this stage of its build-up, trading it off is out of the question, plus after 12 years of ownership and thousands of off-road miles me & this YJ are basically inseparable. Still, it would be great to only have to use two feet on the rocks, instead of three. :-)

Anyway, it being a '94, it would have come from the factory with a 32RH, which is only electronic for lock-up. The 32RH has the same output spline count as the AX15 so my Atlas II should bolt up. The throttle linkage has all the attachment points for the kickdown cable, etc. Looks like we just need a donor vehicle for the trans and all the little bits. Since it's all factory, and mostly bolt on, it sounds doable, if not cheap. FWIW, Novak and Advance have adapter kits for the GM 700r, which might even be easier.

Simple summary, getting tired of shifting on the trail, want an automatic! (Hey, maybe this is the ewxcuse I was looking for for the GM crate engine & trans, eh?)

Reply to
SoK66

Thanks, I chose to ignore his tone. Unfortunately, we often find this kind of response to questions on this Forum. (I've got $35k+ in mods & equipment on this YJ: SURE, I'll just trade it off for an automatic! ;-)

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

if i were undertaking this project i would definately use an aw4

Nathan W. Collier

Make a hand throttle from a $5 bicycle shifter and 6 feet of cable.

Steve

SoK66 wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Fabulous link, Nathan, points in the direction I was thinking. He bit off a lot on this one, adapting the electronic controls, etc., plus OBDII.

Reply to
SoK66

i think in the end it would be worth it. if i were doing a v8 conversion id make a 700r4 fit but running the |6 id do the aw4.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

An unbelievable find! God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Different throttle body too.

Mike

SoK66 wrote:

> But then so is the 700, which is the choice of Hot Rodders.> > Modifications:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hmm, the more I look into this the more interesting it gets. Turns out Four Wheel Hardware sells a kit for swapping a TH350 into the 4.0L manual.

> > But then so is the 700, which is the choice of Hot Rodders.>> > Modifications:

Reply to
SoK66

I am not sure the all differences, but the auto uses a different TPS in the TB than the standard, could just be the same core with different add ons....

Mike

SoK66 wrote:

>> > But then so is the 700, which is the choice of Hot Rodders.> >> > Modifications:> >> >
and> >> > plentiful it's in every Chevrolet taxi, and is holding a Friend's 426"> >> > Hemi:
And I'm> >> > getting

Reply to
Mike Romain

To be fair, you didn't say that earlier.

Swapping out the manual for an automatic takes a large amount of fab skills. If you have the skills then you can make it work, if you haven't the skills, it is cheaper to sell and buy what you want. Of course, if you have already done large scale modifications already, then you have to decide if you want to keep what you have, or get to work.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, it's only a thought, but swapping in a factory automatic in exchange for a factory manual doesn't seem to require a lot of fabrication, just a major scrounge for parts and the hassle of the basically bolt-on conversion. For me it may be just as easy to do the LT1/700r swap I've been contemplating for years!

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III