Crank Position Sensor on a TJ

Anybody replaced a Crank Position Sensor (CPS) in a 6 cylinder TJ with an automatic? I've got the thing unbolted and when I try an slide it out of the bell housing it hits a seam in the tub. The only thing I can see to do is unbolt the tub and do a "mini" body lift to make room.

It's late and maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

TIA Dean

Dean

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I was finally able to get the CPS out using a little bit of brute force. The only thing I can think happened was the body mounts may have compressed a bit with time, everything else is stock. The new CPS was an equal pain to get back in. I don't know what it is with car designers and their sensors. Do they think they'll last forever? And it's not just Jeep, I went through a similarly painful (literally) process replacing a failed sensor in my Honda.

Oh well, at least I can do my own work and save a fortune over paying a shop. Now where did I put those band aides?

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I would tilt the Jeep the other way. Even with a jack. The engine has a fair bit of play on the mounts.

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain