Crunched Fender Ideas

OK.... I had a bad day wheeling yesterday...maybe not a bad day, atleast a bad 5 seconds...

John Cranfield and I were showing a couple girls that had attended the Jeep Jamboree in BC and were in NS on vacation a trail that we had just cleared this spring for the Jam. Victoria's Secret...

I was letting the Jeep pull me along in 2nd gear with no gas while straddling some ruts.. I then saw a tree coming ahead and pulled closer to the ruts to get around the tree and just as I was going around it my rear wheels fell into the rut sending my fender directly into the tree...CRUNCH! completely righting off the fender and then some at only, maybe 2 mph...

now here it is... The Jeep is almost new...2003 still stock other than skids and 31" mudders.

What would you do??

New flat tube fenders (like poison spyders)

they look really kool and very functional for the type of wheeling I'vebeen getting into, like BIG rock krawlin'and can't drive by somethingwithout putting my wheel on (I'm sure many of u know what I'm talkin'about)but with no lift may look pretty silly...not sure when or if a liftwill be installed... or should I have it restored to original, cause it is soooo new and pretty... I must also mention that my moneys are tight...

It's almost a stupid question 'cause of the bias of the offroaders in this group.... would also like to here from those who do own a newer Jeeps and can sympathize with my tears I have shed...like I said...if I was rich...oh well big deal...but for me "the poor boy", it hurts cause I'm so broke! I just maxed the Visa on home reno's...

I love my Jeep and it breaks my heart knowing it may never look the same... Be nice guys...it hurts!

Jeff '03 TJ w/ custom fender...

Pics here under Tree Bite

Jeff
2nd low

tree...CRUNCH!

now they look really kool and very functional for the type of wheelingI've

Reply to
Jeff

now they look really kool and very functional for the type of wheeling I've> been getting into, like BIG rock krawlin'and can't drive by something> without putting my wheel on (I'm sure many of u know what I'm talkin'> about)but with no lift may look pretty silly...not sure when or if a lift> will be installed...>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

tree...CRUNCH!

now they look really kool and very functional for the type of wheelingI've

Reply to
Al King

The obvious question to me is; How have you not dinged that fender before this? That must be brutal wheelin' with only one eye! You could try to straighten it out but I think if you put a value on your time you'd be further ahead replacing it. Whatever you decide, there would appear to be some minor structural damage - rad cradle, inner fender. When you mend these areas be sure to rust proof them well. Tube fenders will cost a bit more upfront but might save you some cash in the long run and they look pretty cool IMO.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

To be honest, it looks good with mud and dents. Id force a new lens on the light and leave it. You'd be surprised how one dent leads to another and pretty soon you just don't care. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thats funny. My passenger side fender looks almost identical to yours. Except that it doesn't interfere with the hood. I also got too close to an attack tree that had disguised itselt as an innocent maple. It waited until I was in range and then sprung its trap.

I just touched up the places where the paint flaked off to prevent rust, and left it alone. I figure I'll replace it eventually, but not untill I get a new front with better protection.

Damn, those attack trees

now they look really kool and very functional for the type of wheeling > I've

Reply to
Ice

hehehe ...oh yeah ...forgot the one eye part LOL honestly I don't notice it anymore...lived like this for twenty years.... ppl on the trails are amazed when I am one inch from an obstacle, and I know that I am one inch away from it ...... I wish I could say I didn't see that tree...but I did and I was going around it.... One other thing...driving twenty years like this, I've never had an accident...knock on wood....well maybe I can't say that any longer...oh well hehehe that's JEEPIN'

As for the topic here....Flatties =) ....my buddy just bought himself all the gear and says that we can build them..... I found another company that make 'em

know anywhere else???...not that I am gonna purchase, just lookin'for ideas... like I said in the earlier post..."I'm a poor boy"or even better...know the location for plans to build 'em??Any help would be appreciated...Thank You, Jeff '03 TJ w/ custom fender

Reply to
Jeff

Leave it like it is. The girls obviously dig it:

Steve

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Jeff,

Don't know your wheeling partner John Cranfield, but heard of him and his notorious hi-lift accident:

You guys aren't starting a one-eyed 4x4 club or something?

Steve

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Steve

ROTFLMFAO...... I honestly never gave it any thought...LOL John and I were the only two vehicles on the trail that day and we only had two eyes between us.... That was a good one Steve.... 1I4X4 Club.... it might be kool to start one just for kicks ...lol

Oh Yeah! Chicks dig body damage!!! Those are the girls from BC... The one on the left has an Electric Lime Green Rubi

BTW...was out last night with Eric Germain lookin' at Slippery Creek and some of those other trails out Nictaux way...those Right Coast Krawlers sure build some nice trails... I think it was u that I saw pics of out there in the spring...

tree...CRUNCH!

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry I've gotten in on this thread late.

I "doinked" both of the front fenders on my '94 YJ from underneath during ou Rubicon trail run last month. (Front tires hit the undersides of the fenders which are fitted with TJ flares...bump stops too short.) I also managed to scrape the right front on a major rock wall when I slid slightly to the right going over a nasty obstacle.

Anyway, I've wanted to "flatfender" the YJ for a couple of years, but wasn't sure how to go about it. I've seen quite a few "hacksaw" jobs on TJs & YJs around here that frankly look like Hell. The only kits I've seen are by Rev1 and Poison Spyder, with the latter looking a lot better and appearing to be quite stout. Only issue I have with them is they have a decided "unfinished" look even when painted.

So anyway I went ahead and ordered the Poison Spyder tube fenders. The tabs for the radiator support area got a bit "doinked" in shipment but can be easily straightened when fitting. They are stout as Hell and all the measurements I've made so far indicate they will bolt right up, not that they'll be easy to install. There's a good deal of cuttting involved in removing the outer fender skins. Not sure this is for someone like me with minimal body work experience. Also, PS claims there's no need to make any vertical cuts through the inner fender at the radiator support or at the firewall. Despite this, I see numerous spot welds holding the stuff together, not sure how these are to be separated.

FWIW, I got the ones without the 3" added flare, not sure what these will be like in mud, etc., but I plan to carry a spare set of wiper blades and a squeegee! Will reorrt after they're fitted.

Reply to
Jerry McG

People with XJ's know what they are talking about :) KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Got 'er all fixed up now =)

Thanks everyone, Jeff '03 TJ Custom Fender

Reply to
Jeff

"An error has occurred. You do not appear to be the owner of this album. Make sure you are logged in"

Reply to
Dave Milne

OK sorry... here the pic...

's all fixed up for now! =) LOL

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff did pass the time by typing:

ROTFLMAO!

Good one. :D

Reply to
DougW

Internal server error :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

that's strange...the pic was there...DougW saw it... try once more [IMG]

Jeepin', Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The one right above your name works, the first does not.

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain