CV Axle Consequences?

Hey guys,

been awhile since I posted here. I've been troubleshooting a problem that I have figured out is related to a bad cv axle. What are the possible consequences of not having it fixed? Should I be worried? It clicks a lot when turning, but could anything worse happen? I'd rather not spend the money as long as it's not going to kill me or anything.

thanks, Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

OK then, maybe I should have it fixed :) Can that really happen? I thought that thing just kept the wheels turning at the same speed at different distances, like a differential does.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ahem...since I live next to the Gulf Coast and gas now costs $3.75, my TJ Sport is taking a small break from the action. Sorry, but this was actually a non-Jeep related question :) But since CV axles are probably pretty similar, it was a good general knowledge question for Jeep owners as well! Thanks for the good info and pictures, Bill.

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

Then you probably meant cv joint. If so, there probably once was an intact boot over the joint to contain the grease. I'd say replace the joint and the boot ... and check those boots for leaks/rips etc once in a while. It sure beats replacing a joint (and boot).

Reply to
Bowgus

It won't kill you until it dies.

One, it's not a CV Axle, it's an axle shaft U-joint or a drive shaft u-joint. There is a cv-style driveshaft that uses a pair of u-joints mounted right next to one another, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you don't have one of these.

Two, you hafta call it by the right name, or your gonna get some confused looks at the parts counter.

Three, since you said it makes noise in a turn, I'm thinking you have troubles with the front axle. This means you will need to remove the front hub and spindle to get the axleshaft out. This would be a good time to take a close look at the bearings and brakes since you'll have them off and laying on the floor anyway.

Reply to
J Strickland