CY7 Clutch Linkage

Vehicle is an '83 CJ7, 258/T5.

I'm getting tired of replacing the clutch linkage parts (mostly the bellcrack, upper and lower rods) every 4 to 5 years. A Google search found a company named tellico4x4 that claims to sell a heim joint clutch linkage assemble for CJ's that should completely eliminate the joint wear in the OEM linkage. Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with either this company or their products ?

Reply to
breyfogle

company or their products ?>

Tellico is a reputable outfit. Not sure if it's the same brand as the one some of the folks in our club are running on CJs, but they swear by 'em.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jerry McG ( snipped-for-privacy@frontier.net) wrote on Monday 11 October 2004

06:54 pm:

Yeah, but beware if you ever have to return a defective product to Tellico. They never return calls (still waiting after leaving three messages and talking to a rep twice a month and a half ago) and their web site is usually busted, so you can't contact them via that either.

After buying about $1000 worth of stuff from them, they're now at the bottom of my list of places to buy from. I don't care if it costs more - the only time I'll buy from them now is if I can't find it anywhere else. This over a $15 turn signal switch that wouldn't work in the "lane change" position. I keep it in my Jeep as a reminder not to buy from them. I curse their name every time I change lanes.

Reply to
Michael White

Try Tri-County Gear in Pomona CA. Jason has been manufacturing and marketing a heim-joint replacement clutch rod for years. I have had one since 1988 - no problems at all.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

'83 CJ-7 '46 Bantam BT3C '87 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel

Robert Bills

I have no experience with the company you asked about, but I made my own heim joint clutch linkage and it works really good.

I bought a piece of stuff called all-thread. It's like a bolt, but 3 or 4 ft long and has no head, just threads. I bought the fine-thread version. Then at the same hardware store, I found a heim joint that mysteriously had the same thread as the all-thread. I cut the all-thread to the desired length, and presto chango, clutch linkage that has never broken again.

My application is the '81 CJ5 with the 258 and mechanical clutch linkage.

Reply to
CRWLR

Interesting option. Did the all-thread rod just happen to allow attachment of the jamnut adjuster ? If not how did you (1) adjust the length and (2) connect to the throwout arm ?

Thanks

Reply to
breyfogle

I have used all thread to build part of a CJ clutch linkage for a Mustang T5 and it threaded right on to the parts including the jam nut.

Mike

breyfogle wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The fine thread that I found was the same as the adjuster, so it all screwed together like it was engineered that way.

Reply to
CRWLR

Amen, brother. I have never been more disappointed with any business, ever, than with Tellico 4X4. They have the sorriest customer service I've ever had the displeasure to deal with. They do not stand behind defective products they sell. In my case, they advertised falsely, sending me a different brand product, then would not take it back or make it right when I discovered it was defective, saying it was advertised as a "factory second". I sent them the very e-mailed ad they sent me proving them liars about the brand and the "free shipping" that cost me $32 and the factory second status. None of that was true.

1)False advertising - brand of product and shipping cost. 2)Defective product they wouldn't take back or make right. 3)Lied about it. It was not advertised as a factory second. 4)Customer service did respond to my e-mails but obviously didn't care about their reputation or my customer satisfaction. I wouldn't buy from them again if they were the only supplier of what I needed. I'd do without. The OP needs to find another supplier if he decides to buy the clutch linkage, just in case there's a problem with it. Any decent business wants satisfied customers to come again and spread the good word. TrailMarker.
Reply to
TrailMarker

TrailMarker?

I do that too, but it usually is dry by the time I come back.

Reply to
CRWLR