DAMN ZJ !!!! altenator. Rant.

Ok here's the story... Wifey came home last night saying that the volt guage is down at 9 and the check engine light is on. So out I go in the sunset and start looking around. First I pulled the codes. got one for low voltage to PCM, another saying a fault with the MAP sensor and another saying low input (or something) for the VSS. Well next step that was easy was put the trusty multimeter one the battery and check with the key off...12.04 volts. Check it again with the engine running... a whopping 12.01 volts. O.K easy solution.. Altenator is shot.. dig through the trusty parts boxes and pull out the altenator from my old XJ. Start early this morning figuring it should take me about 2 hrs max. to complete the job.. well.... the ZJ is parked in the drive, the altenator is still in the garage ans I can tell you how much Chrysler Canada wants to sell a altenator/ starter harness for... $289.00 plus tax.

Once I got the old altenator out I discovered that one of the lugs on the field connections was broken off.. spent all day calling and visiting bone yards trying to find a harnes. no luck, seems that every wrecker does the same thing. If they remove the altenator they just cut the wires, instead of removing them. I finally found an older XJ that still had the altenator and also had that harness, only problem the connectors on the harness are opposite of the ZJ. XJ is male where the ZJ is female. So I ended up cutting out the part required and managed to get things spliced back together tonight. Sometime tomorrow I will rebuild the wire looms and get the damn altenator installed, I might even take the old altenator in and have it tested.

Damn ZJ.. is begining to live up to the name "Just Empty Evey Pocket"

Snow...

Reply to
Snow