Dana 35 limited slip question

HI. I have a 94 YJ Sahara with a Dana 35 w/o ABS tagged 52068849. This means it does not have a locking differential. Does this also mean that it is not a limited slip rear axle? I am currently replacing the axle fluid and I was wondering if I need to add the extra gear oil additive friction modifier. I will be closing it up with a paper gasket and RTV gasket sealer (permatex blue). Someone else used some orange gasket maker and made a mess with over use and the bolts.

tnx...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Just about all GL-5 axle lubes you'll find on the shelves of auto parts stores already contain the friction modifier additive needed for Jeep axles that has the limited slip differential. However, that additive is also 100% compatible with axles without a limited slip differential too, and with lockers too. It's safe to use that kind of lube no matter what, and all lubes you'll find on the store shelves will be "limited slip compatible". So no matter what you have in that rear axle, it'd be hard to find an axle lube that is GL-5 rated (as all axles need) that would not be compatible with or without a limited slip differential.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Okay. That makes sense. Can I still have limited slip if I don't have a locking diff?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yes, some Jeeps came with limited slip differentials (called Tracloc) from the factory... but not until the 2003 Rubicon did Jeeps ever come with a locker from the factory.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Most new lubes *say on the bottle* that they have the additive. Some don't seem to work as well as others however...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

compatible".

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)
1999 and newer GMT-800 series trucks come with both ABS and Limited Slip rear axles

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

I've got a YJ -91. When the rear axle gets warm it starts to sound strange, especialy when you drive slow in circles. I'm pretty sure it's the limited slip version and i've added the limited slip additive. I haven't had the Jeep for more than a short while and i don't really know what kind of oil theres in it. Anyone who has had the same problems ?

Tommy from Sweden.

"Johnathan Marrin" skrev i meddelandet news:2yLWa.31029$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Reply to
Tommy Jansson

Okay. I don't have ABS, that is why I was wondering if I had limited slip.

Reply to
Peter Parker

This is very close to what I am getting too but I think it's probably the universals. I tried to look for a grease fitting in the rear axle but I could not find one. I am currently replacing the axle lube to see it it will make a difference.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I assume the oil level is OK? If so, you could try draining whatever IS in it and replacing it with something you know is good. If it still makes the sound, move to somewhere where the roads are straight or have it looked at. Could be a worn or damaged diff.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

The oil-level is ok and i've added the limited slip additive to times with no diffrence. The sound comes from inside the diffrential and only when it's warm weather or if i drive for about 5-10 miles on the highway. After the weekend i'm going to change the fluid and see what happends. Do you always open up the diffrential or do you suck out the oil ? If so, how do you suck it out ?

Reply to
Tommy Jansson

Hi Bill,

My TJ came with both ABS and Trac-Lok from the factory...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

My '02 Ford SuperDuty has ABS and a rear limited slip as well, from the factory. Not "electronic traction control."

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

A suction gun is available for less than $20 at most auto parts stores. It looks like a giant syringe.

Reply to
Al B. Back

I definitely remember limited slip being an option for my XJ... On the WJ, here's the definition of Quadra-Drive: "On-demand; utilizes a gerotor coupling in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation."

Vari-Lok is Jeep's name for limited slip diffs, right?

Reply to
Grumman-581

In the Quadra Trac II system, maybe, the "regular" LSD's are Trac Lok.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)