Dana 35c gear oil used

I have a 95 yj with what I believe to be a Dana 35c. What weight lube do I use. I have been told by a mech that it should use 75/140, but Chiltons says 75w90. Do I have a limited slip? Do I need an additive? I'm lost

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

The synthetic 75w-140 will protect the gears from additional heat and stress such as operation off-road driving or when towing over the dino derived

80w-90.

Both should have anti-foaming additives.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

It sounds like you have bad or incompatible oil or a bad mix of oil. The manual for this vehicle, which I have, recommends Mopar Gear Oil (yeah, whatever), 75W90 API-GL5 or 80W140 for towing. I am pretty sure I have some kind of 80W90 in mine. They recommend a level one half inch below the fill hole. I recommend a synthetic if you live where it is real cold. I can't imagine why 75w140 vs 80w90 would cause foaming, unless your local oil change place found a real cheap supplier.

I think maybe it is time to call them, and ask nicely what the hell they did to your car.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

There is a limited slip additive that is used for limited slip differentials only. They would know by the tag on the cover, or by the look of the differential carrier if they took the cover off, that it was limited slip. If you don't have limited slip, and they put this additive in, it wouldn't hurt anything. It's not supposed to anyway. The 75w140 won't hurt anything either. I am thinking that they used a real cheap oil, that has a tendency to foam.

The chances of getting a 95 YJ with limited slip from the factory are pretty low, but sometimes people have them put in after they buy the vehicle.

Maybe they used a different type of additive? I have no idea what that might be.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Are you sure you are seeing gear oil?

Are you sure the tube you are seeing is the high water vent?

Are you even seeing this mysterious drip's source?

You said you checked it and it wasn't over full.

Was it purple?

Has the level dropped? If leaking it 'must' drop the level in the diff.

Are you 'sure' you are seeing gear oil?

What does this stuff that is leaking out smell like?

WHY are you changing the fluid again?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
jerryg

Was the back of the tire wet? How about the rim?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
jerryg