Dana 44

To those of you who have put out the moolah to mount a Dana 44 on the front of your CJ, YJ or TJ - was it worth it? You rock crawlers out west may benefit more from it than the rest of us. Do you see D30's breaking where D44's cruise on through? Any specific stories? TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

Haven't done this swap but to the get the discussion going one thing to consider is that the D44 axle u-joints aren't any larger than the very late YJ and all TJ D30s and in general this is what tends to break on front axles. Some D44s even have the small u-joints like on CJ D30s.

Reply to
nrs

Well, thanks for trying to get the discussion going. In the meantime, I've decided to go ahead and do it. I've got a guy building one now. It will be somewhat stronger in my CJ and I think they just look dang cool. I can't say I really need one for the kind of wheeling I normally do, I guess I just want one. So Merry Christmas to me! TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

Good luck with the swap, it is better overall than a D30. I put a rear D44 in my '95 YJ and am very happy with it.

Reply to
nrs

Jesse, likes a really big Dana 60:

Compare: