Dana 44 axle bearing question

How much play should there be in a Dana 44 rear axle? I can jack up a wheel, grab it with my hands (top and bottom of tire), and move it in and out a little (maybe 1/32 of an inch), and I can hear a light thud while doing this. Both sides of the axle are exactly the same. This is a mid

80s CJ dana 44, with fairly low miles (less than 90k), and does not seem to be making any noise while driving. The passenger side does seem kind of tight to turn (by hand), and its not because the brakes are adjusted too tightly (just rebuilt both drums and they are functioning properly).

If I do need to replace the bearings, I will just pull the shafts and take them with the parts to have them pressed on and off. I have never pulled the axles on a D 44, will I need a slide hammer, or will the axles simply pull out (differential was rebuilt last year with new, lower, gears)?

Also, I can get Federal Mogul bearings locally, or should I just order Timkens?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Reply to
Timmy 4x4

Mine is like that, has been since I got it 7 years ago.

Mike

Timmy 4x4 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. I have plenty of other stuff to do right now than worry about axle bearings :)

Reply to
Timmy 4x4