Dana 44 vs. 9"

Okay, I am rethinking my decision to get an Unlimited Rubicon. Maybe I'll just keep my old TJ and upgrade it. First on the list are axles. What are the advantages of the 44 and the 9". (I know that I don't want anything as big as a dana 60.) I do have to follow a budget so $$ is a consideration in my decision. Bottom line: which is better, the 9" or the 44?

Regards, Jim

Reply to
JimT

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well, the 9" can be had with a High Pinion, I am not sure if the D44 can be found like this.

If you had the choice of upgrades, and could get a High Pinion instead of the standard pinion, then the high pinion would definitely be the way to go. If you could only get a high pinion on a 9", then the 9" would be the better choice over the D44. If the D44 can be had in the high pinion configuration, then I think cost would be your guide. As far as I can see, the 9" and the D44 are functional equivelents, both can be geared alike, they are essentially in the same weight class, and the like.

I think it boils down pinion configuration, can you get it in a high pinion? That is the main factor. If both can come in a high pinion, then I think price is the next determining factor.

Which is "better"? That has to be the one you get.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

the ford 9" is much stronger than the 44. even a ford 8.8 " is stronger than the 44. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman